NSS - Product Development Research Associate
HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology Huntsville, AL
- Posted: over a month ago
Position: Product Development Research Associate
Job Type: Part-time Temporary
Note: 3+ Years of Experience Needed
Network Services & Support (NSS), Inc. is a customer-focused reseller and integrator of today's leading-edge networking technologies. NSS is located on the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology campus in Cummings Research Park.
A candidate for this position must demonstrate high initiative, adaptability, technical expertise, and a positive attitude in a fast-paced environment. The Part-Time, Temporary Research Associate will support the Assay team in project-oriented tasks including assay development, optimization, and validation of molecular laboratory techniques.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate experiments in a BSL-2+ laboratory, including handling of infectious agents or specimens and performing microbial culture.
- Perform experiments with meticulous attention to detail to ensure accuracy and reproducibility.
- Maintain detailed laboratory records of all procedures, data, and analyses.
- Work with the Assay team lead to prepare project-oriented deliverables, tasks, schedules, and reports.
- Perform standard laboratory calculations, including reagent preparations and serial dilutions.
- Exhibit excellent laboratory skills, including aseptic technique, pipetting proficiency, and reagent preparation.
- Be capable of identifying issues which may adversely affect experimental performance and apply technical expertise to aid in troubleshooting.
- Prepare or edit standard operating procedures and work instructions, as needed.
- Ability to apply principles, theories, and concepts in areas of molecular biology, microbiology, and/or chemistry.
- Eagerness to learn and apply advancing concepts and technologies and ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Help maintain laboratory inventory of supplies, reagents, and equipment.
- Participate in job-specific training, which could include working in a light shop.
- Prepare to wear closed-toe shoes daily, if necessary.
- Comply with company health, safety, and environmental policies.
- Be a team player and collaborator with a positive attitude.
- Be able to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Work well in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and external collaborators.
- Ability to manage individual project tracks with minimal supervision.
- Prioritize individual tasks contributing to project and team success.
- Ensure timely and efficient completion of tasks.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Master's degree in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry (or related discipline) with at least one year of research laboratory experience or a Bachelor's degree in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry (or related discipline) with 3+ years research laboratory experience.
- Prior experience with PCR is required, and experience with qPCR and/or RT-qPCR setup and analysis is preferred.
- Prior experience with immunoassays preferred.
- Understanding of quality reagent and product testing and document management is preferred.
- Prior demonstration of initiative working independently and as part of a team.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to prepare reports, graphs, and presentations
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors/Mental Functions
ADA Requirements The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer - All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties which will be required in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws). Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position (sit or stand) for prolonged periods (50% of the time).
- Constant moving during hosted events.
- Frequently position self (e.g. stoop, crouch, crawl, bend) and pull and push to maintain computers and audio/visual equipment in the classroom/laboratory.
- Must be able to transport materials required for various experiences. This includes lifting and moving up to 25 pounds of materials (e.g. small stacks of textbooks or media equipment) between classrooms/laboratories and to and from parking lots and buildings.
- Frequent operation of common office equipment (e.g. computers, mobile devices, calculators, copiers, scanners).
- Frequently move around a classroom or HudsonAlpha campus to monitor guests of HudsonAlpha.
- Vision abilities - close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust/focus.
- Moderate noise level (i.e. business office with computers, phone, and printers, light traffic).
- Workspace is generally an indoor office setting and in other common areas throughout HudsonAlpha with controlled temperature conditions.
- Occasional exposure to outdoor environment during portions of the workday including extreme cold or hot temperatures, or inclement weather conditions.
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in the English language.
It is the policy of NSS, in accordance with all applicable laws, to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
ScienceView all jobs at HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology