HudsonAlpha - Network Engineer
HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology Huntsville, AL
- Posted: over a month ago
Position Title: Network Engineer
Position Type: Full-Time
Reports to: Director of Information Technology
HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology is a nonprofit 501(c)3 research institute dedicated to innovation in the field of genomic technology and sciences. Founded in 2008, its mission is four-fold: sparking scientific discoveries that can impact human health and well-being; bringing genomic medicine into clinical care; fostering life sciences entrepreneurship and business growth; and encouraging the creation of a genomics-literate workforce and society. The HudsonAlpha biotechnology campus consists of 152 acres nestled within Cummings Research Park, the nation's second largest research park. Designed to be a hothouse of biotech economic development, HudsonAlpha's state-of-the-art facilities co-locate nonprofit scientific researchers with entrepreneurs and educators. The relationships formed on the HudsonAlpha campus encourage collaborations that produce advances in medicine and agriculture. This position is an exciting opportunity to strengthen the institutional Human Resource capacity of HudsonAlpha in order to better attract, recruit, develop and retain highly qualified students and professionals.
The HudsonAlpha Information Technology organization provides crucial technology platforms that enable HudsonAlpha's cutting-edge research, education, economic development missions, and genomic medicine functions. The research enterprise places the most stringent performance requirements on HudsonAlpha's technology base to ensure its competitiveness in the fast-paced genomics field. The technology group also contributes to HudsonAlpha's innovations and associate company missions. Its responsibilities include providing critical information infrastructure, performing development-operations to optimize and automate technology solutions, and developing tools and applications that enable missions of human and plant research across the HudsonAlpha's campus.
The Network Engineer will collaborate with IT Infrastructure Services and Research Computing architects, developers and engineers on an array of environments, infrastructure and applications supporting the HudsonAlpha missions. The Network Engineer will be responsible for ensuring maximum availability, integrity, and confidentiality of HudsonAlpha IT-controlled systems through the administration and maintenance of network infrastructure, network services, VoIP PBX and firewalls. The Network Engineer is an integral part of the team, communicating regularly with IT team members, vendors and the support staff of associate companies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs and implements network solutions in line with industry and institute standards
- Installs and maintains various network technologies and services including Cisco switching and routing, Palo Alto Network Firewalls, Global Protect VPN and Adtran switches.
- Provides overall administration of campus networks and connectivity including WiFi, subnetting/VLANs, IP reservations, DNS and RADIUS,
- Secures campus network access and traffic by administering Palo Alto firewalls, ACLs, policies and threat prevention applications (i.e. WildFire, Web Content Filtering, etc.)
- Supports phone and voice services across campus including call routing, SIP and Asterisk infrastructure
- Performs physical installs of network equipment and inter rack cabling
- Helps maintain ISP contracts and relationships to ensure proper sizing and costs
- Evaluates network technologies to properly lifecycle equipment and budget for future needs.
- Performs network maintenance and system upgrades, patches, and hot fixes
- Responsible for monitoring, correlation and response to system and security logs
- Documents network designs, procedures and help maintain an accurate inventory of network assets.
- Collaborates with IT peers, researchers, and external vendors to ensure effective communication, collaboration, and stakeholder involvement.
- 8+ years of experience required in lieu of degree
- Associate's Degree and 6 years professional experience required
- Bachelor's degree and 4 years of professional experience
- Strong experience administering Cisco routers, switches and LAN/WANs
- Strong Linux background on CentOS or RHEL
- In depth knowledge of IP subnetting and routing protocols
- Experience administering Palo Alto firewalls and security applications
- In depth knowledge of telephony protocols including ISDN PRI and SIP.
- Hands on experience Asterisk based systems preferred
- Practical level of experience implementing and administering common TCP/IP-based services, including DNS, DHCP, HTTP, FTP, SSH, SMTP, etc.
- Experience in the securing of network devices through access controls.
- Proficient with the mitigation and remediation of network devices vulnerabilities
- Experience running network cabling
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Familiarity with Mac operating system
- CCNA or higher strongly preferred
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors/Mental Functions
ADA Requirements The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer - All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties which will be required in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws). Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position (sit or stand) for prolonged periods (50% of the time).
- Frequently moving between work areas.
- Frequent operation of common office equipment (e.g. computers, mobile devices, calculators, copiers, scanners).
- Vision abilities - close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust/focus.
- Ability to lift, carry, and move all components, network equipment, peripherals, and other ancillary equipment up to 30 pounds
- Continuous mental and visual attention, requiring constant alertness or activity.
- Moderate noise level (i.e. business office with computers, phone, and printers, light traffic).
- Workspace is generally an indoor office setting and in other common and education spaces throughout HudsonAlpha with controlled temperature conditions.
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions.
It is the policy of HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology, in accordance with all applicable laws, to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
TechnologyView all jobs at HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology