HRC is looking for a Survey Crew Chief to join our Veteran Survey Department in all our Michigan office locations including: Grand Rapids, Lansing, Howell and Bloomfield Hills. HRC embraces technology and utilizes the newest laser scanning and robotics total stations. The position entails working directly for and supporting a licensed Surveyor and other technical staff to achieve project goals. The Survey Crew Chief will be responsible for organizing and directing the Field Survey Crew in completing specific survey assignments. Capable of calculating and recording field data in a clean and understandable format. Capable of reviewing job requirements and preparing the best method to complete the tasks.
- Valid driver’s license
- Oversees the development and execution of construction, right-of-way, control, topographic, and/or other related survey duties.
- Review and follow project scope, keeping all project information and electronic files well organized.
- Collaborates with stakeholders, including local officials, engineers, contractors, and supervisors, through the duration of each project.
- Determines appropriate surveying techniques to be used on each project.
- Collaborates with utility companies to ensure surveys are properly executed for public streets and easements.
- Fluent with operating Global Navigational Satellite Systems (GNSS or GPS), Robotic Total Stations, Digital and Optical Levels.
- Gathers survey data to map areas, measure angles, distances, and elevations.
- Analyzes plans, plats, and legal documents to appropriately plan and schedule work.
- Drafts reports, descriptions, and other documentation for all surveys performed.
- Create Cut Sheet reports for construction staking.
- Ensures final maps display a comprehensive and accurate description of the field survey.
- Ensures the work of all crew members meets standards and that assigned tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Completes any surveying tasks crew members are unable to complete.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates a high level of proficiency in understanding of surveying ethics and various technical standards by conforming to them.
- Provides work schedules and assignments to Field Survey Crew.
- Coordination and supervising field work for a variety of standard types of surveys.
- Completing of record keeping, time keeping, and job charges in an organized and proficient display.
- Capable of maintaining surveying equipment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent supervisory and organizational skills.
- Thorough understanding of and ability to execute proper field survey procedures and techniques.
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to comprehend construction plans.
- Thorough understanding of mathematical calculations used in field surveys and the ability to identify mistakes in calculations.
- Ability to perform all aspects of field surveys.
- Experience with operating field controllers and instruments including GNSS, Robotic Total Station and Digital Levels.
- Operate along freeways and roadways safely.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred but not mandatory:
- An Associate degree in Surveying, Civil Technology, or the equivalent
- Certified Survey Technician
- Lifting/lowering of testing equipment that weights up to 40lbs.
- Bending, standing, stretching, and stooping.
- This position typically entails 90% Field Work.
HRC offers flexible work hours, a team and family-oriented work environment and excellent benefits, including:
- Comprehensive benefits package including affordable Medical, Dental & Vision plan options
- 401k with employer-matched contributions
- Life Insurance
- Disability Income
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Strong work-life balance with generous PTO beginning on day 1
- An atmosphere that is collaborative, challenging, and filled with forward-thinking team members
- Competitive market-based salary
- Hourly pay with 1.5 overtime
Hubbell, Roth & Clark, Inc.
Why Work Here?Founded in 1915, Hubbell, Roth & Clark, Inc. (HRC) provides a full range of engineering and architectural services to municipal, industrial and private clients. Headquartered in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, HRC also maintains seven branch offices. HRC has been listed as an ENR Top 500 Design Firm and was named one of the Cool Places to Work in Michigan by Crain’s Detroit Business magazine.
Great culture! Friendly and approachable management. Promote work/life balance.
Bloomfield Hills, MI