Hubbardton Forge employs approximately 230 people in Vermont and is one of the country’s oldest and largest continuously operating commercial forges today. It all started with two guys, an old barn and some borrowed tools. They had big ideas and a passion for design, respect for high-quality craftsmanship and a belief in the importance of tradition. For more than 45 years, Hubbardton Forge artisans have handcrafted each product, one at a time, right here in Vermont. Manufacturing domestically allows a level of responsiveness to customers we couldn’t otherwise provide, enables partnerships between departments creating a better workplace, keeps well-paying jobs in the U.S.A. and helps to strengthen our local economy. We continue to grow as a domestic manufacturer. All of our products, with the sole exception of the HF Reflections bath collection, are designed and manufactured at our facility in Castleton, VT.Job Description
The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for performing Payroll and Human Resources related duties while working closely with the Organizational Development Specialist, and the HR Director. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: payroll and benefits, recruitment, new employee orientation and onboarding, training, and will provide general HR support for the department and the organization.
GENERAL ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
• Serve as a role model with regard to never compromising safety for competing priorities.
• Develop a safety consciousness among your peers.
• Identify and correct unsafe actions, and notify Leadership if further action is necessary.
• Follow good ergonomic principles when performing work.
• Ensure 100% first time quality before reaching end customer.
• Role model quality for functional area in understanding the importance of Customer Focus and first time quality.
• Follow appropriate processes, standards, specifications and norms to meet quality expectations in all aspects of work.
• Communicate the internal and external customer quality concerns to the functional area.
• Serve as a role model to the functional area with regard to productivity consciousness with the customer in mind.
• Share knowledge with team in an effort to improve overall team performance and individual contribution.
• Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to problem solve, develop and implement corrective measures as needed.
• Alert cross-functional leaders of issues that may affect objectives or goals of the business.
• Participate in lean processes and contribute to continuous improvement of the department and overall business.
• Make continuous improvement a priority to ensure long-term stability.
• Ensure that continuous improvement is a part of daily standard work.
• Use structured problem solving to drive results within a team setting.
• Consistently PDCA to eliminate waste and create value for the customer at every touch point.
• Serve as a role model for peers and team members in work practices and in performing at all times consistent with the Core Beliefs and Values of the Company as well as the Company’s Performance Competencies.
• Foster mutual respect and commitment among team members and Leadership.
• Advocate for functional area by being receptive, actively listening, and communicating concerns, impressions and observations to others as needed.
• Maintain an ongoing dialogue with management and peers to ensure ongoing alignment of department and business priorities and objectives.
• Ask questions, raise concerns, and appropriately push back on decisions that constrain departmental performance.
SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Benefits and Payroll
• Process bi-weekly payroll, ensuring all employees receive accurate paychecks on their scheduled pay day. This includes time clock changes and entries, filing of payroll paperwork and maintenance of the payroll files. Provide Leadership with accurate payroll reports in a timely manner.
• Acts as the liaison between Hubbardton Forge and insurance companies and/or vendors. The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for assisting employees with insurance problems and coverage questions. Responsible for ensuring all claims are processed and employees and managers are kept abreast of restrictions and accommodations.
• Responsible for the effective administration and plan compliance of all Hubbardton Forge employee benefit offerings which includes notifying employees of their eligibility, distributing information packets as requested, setting up the appropriate deductions in payroll, and notifying the plan administrator of new participants. Ensures plan compliance through regular reporting and testing (5500’s prep, discrimination testing, WC claim filing, etc.).
• Assisting managers in the tracking and coordination of all medical, workers comp and personal leaves of absence. Provides regular database reporting and maintenance for safety and benefits functions as required daily, weekly, monthly and annually.
• The Human Resources Specialist ensures that all FMLA requests are processed accordingly and that appropriate regulations are followed and notifications are made. Additionally, the Human Resources Specialist ensures that all Short-term and Long-term disability situations are effectively coordinated and communicated to the insurance carriers.
• Reconciling the insurance bills on a monthly basis insuring the proper billing amount and that coverage is added or deleted as necessary for new hires and terminations.
• Collaborate with HR to identify candidates through various recruiting tools.
• Serve as the primary point of contact for candidates throughout the interviewing process (e.g., schedule interviews, communicate status, answer questions, schedule start date, arrange travel, and coordinate all follow-up efforts, etc.).
• Conduct background checks and detailed reference checking.
• Maintain accurate and well-ordered documentation on all candidates. Prepares new-employee files.
• Coordinate and assist with facilitation New Employee Orientation; responsible for new employee paperwork. (Completes Forms I-9, verifies I-9 documentation and maintains I-9 files).
• Coordinates and assists with the new hire on-boarding process.
• Maintain compliance of all federal, state and local laws including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, ADA, FMLA, ADEA, FLSA and EEO regulations.
• Conducts audits of recruitment documentation/files and recommends corrective action.
• Assist with performance management system (ADP/Excel).
• Schedule and coordinates organization-wide or department-wide trainings.
• Conduct audits of training documentation/files and recommends corrective action.
• Assist in the coordination and planning of HR training and company-wide events.
General Support/Project Management
• Assist HR with compliance projects as needed.
• Participate/facilitate in special projects or committees (safety, wellness or other) as assigned.
• Perform customer service functions by answering employee requests and questions.
• Schedule and coordinates organization-wide meetings as needed.
• Create spreadsheets, presentations and internal reports as needed.
• File documents into appropriate employee files.
• Assist or prepares correspondence as requested.
• Track, update and post HR-related communication boards/monitor (metrics, anniversaries, company-wide information).
• Point of contact for company clothing orders; bereavement/retirement flower orders or other special recognition events.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business, Psychology or related major required.
• 3-5 years of general Human Resources work experience/education is preferred.
• Working knowledge or ability to learn federal, state and local law is required.
• Proficiency in Microsoft applications.
• Ability to work within a lean and changing environment.
• Excellent project management, writing, and oral communication skills are required.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and experience with social media platforms.
• Strong communication and customer service skills.
• Strong analytical skills with ability to recommend and implement solutions.
• Strong project management skills with proven follow-up and completion performance.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple requests simultaneously.
• Strong listening, evaluating, and organizational skills.
• Previous experience working in a team environment and or a strong understanding of the importance of open communication and information sharing among co-workers required.
• Requires the ability to use good judgment and discretion with highly confidential business/team member information.
• Successful completion of a pre-employment background screen.
• Successful completion of a post-employment drug screen.
- Employment of selected candidates is contingent upon clear drug and background screening as well as ability to meet the physical requirements of the position in a post-offer employment physical.
- Hubbardton Forge is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.