Howard Brown Health Chicago, IL
- Posted: 25 days ago
- Benefits: vision, 401k, dental, life insurance, medical,
Why Howard Brown Health
- A mission-driven organization for purpose-driven people. Howard Brown exists to eliminate the disparities in healthcare experienced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people through research, education and the provision of services that promote health and wellness
- Community-based health clinics in some of Chicago’s most underserved neighborhoods
- The largest LGBTQ health provider in the Midwest
- Latinx inclusive community based on respect, equal opportunity, and appreciation of diversity to provide the culturally competent support and services within Howard Brown Health.
What is in it for you:
- A commitment to work-life balance with:
- 3-weeks paid vacation and 1-week of personal time
- 12 accrued sick days per year
- 9 paid holidays, including Juneteenth
- PTO Exchange allows employees to turn unused PTO into liquid assets
- Employer-sponsored health, dental, vision insurance with two PPO plans and an HMO plan.
- BCBS HMO, PPO and PPO Select Plans
- HMO premium = $27/month
- BCBS Dental premium = $7.50/month
- EyeMed Vision premium = $3.26/month
- BCBS HMO, PPO and PPO Select Plans
- 401k program with up to 5% employer match after 90 days = $1,700+
- Voluntary Life and AD&D, and Short-term and Long-term disability
- Employer-paid basic life insurance valued at one times the annual salary up to one hundred thousand dollars.
- Up to $720 pre-tax commuter and parking benefit account
- Flexible Spending Accounts for healthcare and dependent care
- Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Forgiveness Programs; NHSC & PSLF
- Employee Assistance Program with 5 employer-paid counseling sessions
- 50% off at Brown Elephant Resale Shops and discounts at local businesses
What you can expect:
Under Nursing Administrative supervision, perform nursing duties and telephone triage for designated Providers of Howard Brown Health. Serve as team member in Medical Services, sharing duties with LPNs, MAs/Phlebotomy staff, patient services staff, medical records, and/or other personnel as assigned.
How you will make an impact:
- Act as liaison between patient/client and Providers. Answer all patient/client inquiries for assigned Providers regarding health issues. Serve as advocate for patient/client for both internal and external referrals.
- Provide education, screening and treatment, following standing orders, to clients presenting through the STD, syphilis and hepatitis walk-in clinics
- Coordinate medical care with other providers as required, schedule patient follow-up internal and external appointments as instructed by Providers
- Initiate, execute and maintain necessary insurance, disability forms, AIDS case reporting, reportable disease morbidity forms and other forms as required
- Will follow role assignments that are in alignment with the Patient Centered Medical Home Standards, and participate in all Patient Centered Medical Home efforts.
- Evaluate all patients’/clients’ ability to understand health plans, perform health education as needed, and notify appropriate Provider as necessary.
- Provide nursing care and education to patients/clients, their significant others, and staff in a compassionate manner.
- Perform lab procedures as assigned. Collect, label, and process all specimens including but not limited to urine, stool, semen, sputum, and blood. Ensure that specimens are processed and shipped in accordance with established Howard Brown laboratory policies and procedures along with research protocol. Notify providers of alarm values found in lab reports. Provide patient/client with appropriate requisition, information and instruction for ancillary tests and procedures ordered by Providers.
- Perform routine clinical functions, execute nursing skills and treatments. Maintain accurate and necessary patient documentation in accordance with all regulatory bodies.
- Apply human relation skills and customer service skills in providing patient care and in establishing good rapport.
- Execute Phone Triage responsibilities: performs a systematic, comprehensive interview of the caller/patient/client to determine the urgency of the patient’s problem. Accurately documents data for all calls including, but not limited to, patient/client demographic information, chief complaint, recommendations for home treatment, and referrals to primary care provider, alternative health care provider or emergency services. Performs and documents follow-up calls with patients as necessary to help ensure positive outcomes.
- Make referrals to the appropriate level of care within an appropriate period of time. Schedules same-day appointments or follow-up appointments with the patient/client primary care provider or alternative health care provider as necessary
- Provide counseling, home treatment advice, and crisis intervention according to established protocols and standards of care.
- Maintain clinical competency through continuing education, recertification (including CPR), and clinical practice.
- Adhere to Howard Brown Human Resources Policies and Procedures.
- Actively participates in fulfillment of organization’s mission, vision, and core values. Adhere to OSHA standards in delivery of care to all patients.
- Participate in Quality Improvement process via data collection, evaluation of results, and implementation of recommendations.
- Perform other duties as directed.
What you will bring to Howard Brown Health:
- Nursing degree (BSN or Associates) PLUS current Illinois nursing license required; 1 to 2 years of experience in a hospital or outpatient setting is preferred.
Comprehensive Primary Care Nursing experience performed in an ambulatory/outpatient setting preferred.
Must have current Illinois nursing license.
Knowledge and experience with multi-ethnic, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender clients and issues desirable.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Howard Brown are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
At Howard Brown Health, we cultivate a passionate, innovative and empowered workforce committed to furthering our mission to eliminate health disparities and improve the lives of LGBTQ people. At Howard Brown we are deeply committed to diversity, racial equity, and LGBTQ liberation, recognizing that when our workforce represents the communities we serve, we enhance our own experiences and the quality of our services.
Howard Brown Health
ABOUT HOWARD BROWN HEALTH At Howard Brown Health, we cultivate a passionate, innovative and empowered workforce committed to furthering our mission to eliminate health disparities and improve the lives of LGBTQ people. At Howard Brown we are deeply committed to diversity, racial equity, and LGBTQ liberation, recognizing that when our workforce represents the communities we serve, we enhance our own experiences and the quality of our services.
HealthcareView all jobs at Howard Brown Health