- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Supervises the activities of non-food production kitchen workers ensuring proper
ware and pot washing, proper sanitation practices regarding food preparation and
storage areas. Accountable for monitoring costs relating to cleaning and
labor while maximizing the efficiency of the operation. Observe Club safety rules
Working knowledge of Club policies and guidelines as outlined in the Houston Country Club Employee Handbook and Orientation Guide.
· Has complete understanding of the operation's mechanical equipment in the kitchen and how to clean properly. Has first hand knowledge of every job in the department and supervises, coordinates daily activities of ware and pot washing, night cleaners and part time stewards to ensure a smooth and efficient operation of the kitchen.
· Ensures proper staffing levels based on business forecast and effective payroll control.
· Employs, trains, discharges employees who are his subordinates with prior approval of the Executive Chef and club management.
· Approves and requisitions sufficient cleaning and other supplies for efficient service and
keeps in the guidelines of budget by using check book system.
· Takes inventories of china, silverware, flatware, etc., and replaces items as needed to maintain par level by using purchase requisition system and obtain proper approval prior to purchase.
· Develops and maintains controls against theft and waste.
· Assures use of proper sanitation and hygiene techniques for all cleaning tasks.
· Performs all necessary supervisory functions for subordinates. Develops performance
Standards and follows up daily tasks performed. Trains new employees, has ongoing training within department and subordinates to ensure highest level of sanitation and cleanliness in kitchen.
· Inspects storage areas on ongoing basis to ensure that they are kept in an orderly fashion.
· Establishes and maintains professional standards of conduct and appearance at all times and manages by example.
· Establishes and adheres to labor cost goals and controllable goals for department. Takes
corrective actions as necessary to ensure that goals are attained.
· Attends party meeting, banquet meeting, kitchen management meetings and any other
committee meetings of which the Chief Steward is a part.
· Reviews equipment and reports any problem to engineering by using engineering work
orders through Administrative Assistant.
· Communicates with Executive Chef and kitchen management on daily basis and updates
staff on day to day operation and reviews and updates log book. Reviews with kitchen staff
engineering work orders and completion of such and reviews and updates log book.
· Conducts meetings with subordinates to ensure consistent high sanitation and hygiene levels in kitchen, proper cleaning procedures and establishes training needs with subordinates.
· Delegates responsibility and authority to subordinates for specific tasks and follows up,
provides clean and complete instructions, states expectations precisely and uses subordinates capabilities most effectively.
· Holds periodic kitchen inspections with Executive Chef to ensure high sanitation level is
· Evaluates subordinates in departments on an ongoing basis and takes corrective actions
· Completes assigned tasks given by Executive Chef in an accurate and timely fashion.
· Prepares reports, makes schedules and performs administrative duties as assigned by
· Presents himself/herself in the most professional manner at all times, shows his/her leadership and self-control and works towards a common goal within the department and Club.
· Responsible for maintaining inventory and ordering of paper and chemical goods.
· Maintains safety and security at work station.
· High School Diploma (or GED or High School Equivalence Certificate)
· Up to 2-4 years’ experience or more in a hotel, club, or restaurant.
· Job related experience is a plus.
· Must have leadership skills.
· Must be able to work in a warm and humid environment.
· Working conditions are often slippery and wet.
l Must be able to work a flexible schedule and/or over time if needed.
l Must be available to work weekends and holidays.
l Must work well with others as a team.
l Must have an outgoing personality.
l Should have an eye for detail.
l Must possess honesty and integrity.
l Must be courteous and tactful at all times.
l Must be innovative and look for areas that need improvement.
l Must treat others with kindness and respect at all times.
l Must be willing to perform other duties as requested or required.
· Paper inventory and ordering
· Cleaning chemical inventory and ordering.
· Uniform inventory and ordering
· Complete pull requisitions for daily banquets in regards to plates, equipment, plate up functions.
· Responsible for trash and grease removal from club.
· Ecolab and exterminator management
· Steward scheduling, hiring, yearly steward evaluations, and daily operations
· Responsible for cleaning checklist, cleaning schedule, and signing off on completed tasks.
· Daily inspection of the kitchen for cleanliness and work done by night cleaners
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and/or sit up to 10 hours per day.
· Must be able to push, pull or lift up to 40lbs.
· Must possess independent mobility throughout the Clubhouse
· Must possess manual dexterity to handle merchandize, trays and papers.
· Must be able to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools and/or controls.
· Must be able to hear and speak sufficiently enough to communicate with members, guests, and co-workers.
· Must possess vision sufficient enough to read, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
· Must be able to work in a busy environment
Houston Country Club offers an excellent benefits package. After 60 days, full time employees are eligible for:
· Choice of three medical plans, including prescription coverage
· Choice of two dental plans
· Vision insurance
· Employer-paid life and long-term disability insurance
· Voluntary life insurance for spouses and dependents
· Employer paid Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Paid Time Off accrues every pay period and may be used after 6 months of employment.
Once eligibility criteria are met, our 401(k) plan allows employees to choose between pre- and post-tax contributions, and we match dollar for dollar up to 4% with immediate vesting.
The Houston Country Club Scholarship Fund was established to assist our employees, their children, and their grandchildren pursue their higher education goals. Recipients may receive up to $8,000 per year to be used for tuition, books, and fees.
Houston Country Club
1 Potomac DriveHouston, TX
ManufacturingView all jobs at Houston Country Club
Get fresh Kitchen Steward jobs daily straight to your inbox!