ALCOHOL & SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR JOB DESCRIPTION
- Four or more year’s continuous sobriety of alcoholic or addict.
- Minimum of one year(s) work experience in Alcohol or Drug field.
- Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor (CADC) (CAARR) or other equivalent.
- High School Diploma, GED, or Higher Education Degree.
- Proficient knowledge operating personal computers & various software.
- Live Scan required per terms of employment.
- Must possess reliable (vehicle) transportation.
- Valid DMV printout, proof of auto insurance, vehicle registration.
- Must be available for emergencies.
- Ability to chart records accurately.
- Must adhere to The House of Acts Code of Ethics & Staff Agreement.
- Willingness to take and/or follow instruction & adaptability to change.
- Ability to work with all genders, cultures, & be sensitive to the needs of residents.
- Ability to pass CPR, First Aid Training, Medical & TB Clearance.
- Ability to work in crisis situations, proactive & positive role model.
- Community education & outreach.
- Ability to work as a team member & perform operational tasks.
- Strongly recommended 32 hours per year of ADS Studies.
- Excellent Time Management, Organizational, Written/Oral skills, along with appropriate dress.
- Knowledgeable of Social Model Philosophy.
- Knowledgeable of community & program referrals.
- Ability to Mentor, Train & Supervise Employees, Interns, & Volunteers.
- Assist & make decisions in crisis & stressful situations.
- Facilitate Group Process & House Meetings as well as 1-on-1 sessions.
- Execute Client Charting & Progress Notes.
- Ability to read and write assessments and write a Treatment Plan.
- Follow program procedure and assist residents in the admission process.
- Relate on a peer level, in a supportive non-judgmental manner with residents.
- Supervise Men’s Sober Living Environment (SLE).
- Conduct drug/alcohol urinalyses testing and intake procedures.
- Facilitate Group Curriculum (i.e. Matrix Model, Evident Based) &12 Step.
- Ability to assume authority regarding intake and dismissal.
- Responsible in terms of program daily schedule.
Two week training period for new counselors
180 day probation period
Six-month evaluation will be performed, if evaluation is satisfactory, a pay increase will be considered. Subsequent to initial six-month evaluation, all evaluations thereafter will be performed annually.
Report to Administrator and/or Program Director
Starting Salary: DOE