Vice President/Sr Director, Information Technology
- Posted: 29 days ago
HI USA is a national, non-profit organization founded on the enduring belief in the power of travel to foster a deeper understanding of people, places and the world around. For over 80 years, HI USA has offered a network of affordable hostels to facilitate interaction among people from diverse backgrounds, from across the country and around the world.
** This position may be hybrid, working a mix of remote and on site at our Headquarters office in Silver Spring, MD. Candidates in a city or commutable distance to one of our properties may also be considered. Check out our website, hiusa.org. ** Please include a cover letter telling us why you would like to join the HI USA team.
This role will lead the IT function at HI USA and be responsible for building, sustaining, and supporting a technology strategy, platform and operation that will enable the collection, storage, sharing and multi-faceted use of all types of data, with the goal of seamless access to information anytime, anywhere. This person will also be responsible for systems related to guest reservations, customer relationship management (CRM), property management, communications, e-commerce, membership, fundraising, content management (CMS), knowledge management, volunteers, accounting, and human resources. As a member of the leadership team, this person will partner with other HI USA departments on a national level to ensure effective promotion and delivery of all HI USA priorities.
The successful candidate will be a highly visible leader, team builder and collaborator encompassing the values of servant leadership and HI USA’s Success Through Service values. They must be willing and able to work to solve day to day IT problems as well as oversee the department and the team.
- Develop and maintain information technology strategies and plans, identifying innovative solutions to HI USA strategic initiatives.
- Ensure that information technology plans are effectively aligned with strategic plans.
- Coordinate technology service delivery and support to a highly dispersed organization (central office plus hostels and field staff in multiple locations) committed to operating in the Cloud.
- Develop, coordinate, and support customer relationship management systems that must respond to the organization’s interconnected information needs related to hostel guests, members, volunteers, donors, and advocates.
- Develop, coordinate, and support the technology needs of hostel operations, including reservations and property management systems, and of central departments (Finance, HR, Volunteers, Donors, etc.).
- Develop, coordinate, and support technology related to communications, knowledge management and information needs of the staff of HI USA.
- Ensure that all technology and research solutions (both internal and external) are delivered in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Ensure that the Executive Team is kept up-to-date and well-educated on strategic technology issues, concerns, and opportunities within HI USA.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Participate in the development and execution of organization wide strategy as a member of the executive leadership team. Work closely with senior leadership to develop, oversee, and achieve multi-year operating plans, goals, and objectives.
- Create and foster a work environment that values diversity of perspectives and encourages contributions by all team members. Support, develop, supervise, and evaluate team members.
- Promote positive relations with partners, vendors, and distributors.
- In partnership with senior leadership, identify opportunities and risks for delivering HI USA's products and services, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to business success.
- Create/enhance risk management strategy, policies, processes, and controls to mitigate organization exposure
- Establish division strategy and annual operating plans that clearly align with, support, and reinforce organization-wide strategy and plans, and proactively educate others within HI USA about the linkages.
Triple Bottom line and Success Through Service
- Ensure adherence to Triple Bottom Line and Success through Service principles. Collaborate with senior leadership and other staff to promote environmental, financial, and social responsibility.
- Develop and manage departmental budgets.
- Lead a cross-divisional process to prioritize and approve IT investments
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or business administration (or equivalent experience); supplemented with courses and certifications in current technology.
- Minimum of ten years in Information Technology related positions, with at least five years in a management position.
- Work experience in a multi-unit, geographically dispersed organization is essential.
- At least five years of technology experience in a related environment (nonprofit, hospitality, travel, membership)
- Experience with Salesforce.com, Google Apps or similar types of applications.
- Knowledge of computer languages (HTML, CSS, SQL, etc) preferred
- Experience with customer relationship management systems a big plus.
- Well-rounded broad technology skills including extensive knowledge of cloud, azure and AWS.
- Exceptional service orientation executed in a highly collaborative, communicative, and patient manner
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Proven track record of accomplishment in technology decisions, planning, execution, and implementation
- Ability to be both strategic and operational, including hands-on technology support and training to staff
- Ability to interpret and/or discuss information with different audiences, including terminology or concepts that may not be familiar to others
- Ability to work within an organization that is highly entrepreneurial and staff who are strongly committed to bottom-line results.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships between staff, management, and vendors.
- Ability to maintain an in-depth, broad, and current knowledge of technology and techniques.
- Ability to implement positive change through complex solutions under challenging circumstances.
- Ability to impact strategic, tactical, and administrative issues positively and productively is essential.
- Change management skills.
- Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable style; a collaborative and proactive approach is a must.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion; and ability to work well with people with a very wide diversity of demographic and cultural characteristics.
Hostelling International USA
AddressSilver Spring, MD
TechnologyView all jobs at Hostelling International USA
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?