Director, Marketing and Communication
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
ABOUT HI USA
HI USA is a nonprofit organization founded on an enduring belief in the power of travel to foster a deeper understanding of people, places, and the world around. For over 80 years, HI USA has provided a network of affordable hostels to facilitate interaction among people from diverse backgrounds, from across the country and around the world.
At HI USA, our core values of COMMUNITY, RESPECT, INTEGRITY and RELATIONSHIPS are our compass, guiding how we work together to build a better world; and these core values unite us in our mission to help all, especially the young, gain a greater understanding of the world and its people through hostelling. Come join our team, and help us make a difference in your city, the country and around the world.
We are recruiting for a Director of Marketing and Communication. This position may be filled in Silver Spring, MD or San Francisco, CA. This is not a fully remote position, but will have flexibility for hybrid remote/on site.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will develop and implement ongoing strategies that advance the mission of HI USA including the overnight stay and signature programs. Responsibilities include leadership of marketing team, digital marketing planning & execution, brand campaigns, and content strategies & tactics across HI USA’s brand, social media, digital and creative design functions. The Director will also oversee communications related products, including but not limited to internal communications, website, social platforms, newsletters, other print publications, e-news blasts, media, and will collaborate on public relations.
- Prepare, develop, and implement overall marketing strategy to support the organization’s marketing and sales goals, with a focus on integrating new messaging around efforts and programs surrounding DEIA and representation.
- Leverage key internal partners, as well as brand and vendor partners, and content creators to manage a marketing platform that builds strong brand awareness, produces high quality leads for our hostels and expands the public awareness of HI USA.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the marketing team; provide leadership, coaching and timely feedback. Oversee marketing budget and resource planning.
- In close collaboration with sales, identify organizational needs, market trends and new market opportunities.
- Assess existing marketing plans and develop new plans to include corporate branding, DEIA, corporate marketing, channel marketing, and product marketing and graphic design.
- Continually identify new sources to attract our target demographic via new partners, strategies, and emerging channels.
- Build and maintain product marketing tools for access by management including website, videos, collaterals, graphics, etc.
- Create a comprehensive, programmatic digital marketing plan/calendar for all marketing activities including, not limited to web development, media ads, print publications, e-news blasts, etc.
- Lead all communications efforts, internally and externally in close collaboration with Stakeholder Activation
- Manage press relationships to ensure proper coverage of HI USA programs, initiatives, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Collaborate cross functionally with the Stakeholder Activation and Hostel Network teams to develop strategies that achieve mutual objectives
- Implement best practices to manage metrics and success criteria for marketing efforts.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, and a commitment to quality
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- 4-year degree in marketing, communications, graphic design, or relevant field.
- 5-7 years of related experience in the marketing field. Prior experience working in a multi-unit, geographically dispersed organization desired, experience in hospitality a plus.
- Experience in all aspects of developing and maintaining marketing strategies.
- Demonstrated leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communication, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Proven experience in customer and market research.
- Demonstrated success leading communications function and digital content a must.
- Passion for the value and benefits of experiential travel in promoting intercultural understanding and exchange.
- Well-versed in social media strategy and management; Strong experience in storytelling, content creation, and production for web, social channels, newsletters, digital marketing, and print communication.
- Strong writing and editing experience across a variety of print and online communications media.
- Experience managing websites, including SEO/SEM and management.
- Experience with relevant software applications, computer programs and search engine marketing (Google Analytics, Google Ad Words); significant skill and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable style; a collaborative and proactive approach necessary.
- Ability to identify and anticipate new business opportunities.
- Ability to prioritize, multi task, work independently, and grasp concepts quickly.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Video development expertise.
- Proficient in managing both traditional media and developing innovative communication strategies for digital and social media.
- Working knowledge of content management systems, in particular WordPress and Substack; adept with social media platform management and digital marketing tools/analytics.
Hostelling International USA
AddressSilver Spring, MD
BusinessView all jobs at Hostelling International USA