Jr. Accountant (Full-Time) for Boutique Hotel Downtown
The Horton Grand Hotel is a boutique hotel located in the heart of San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter and is steps away from the Convention Center, restaurants, shopping, and entertainment. When it comes to the workplace, we offer the perfect balance of establishment and progressive, employee-focused initiatives all wrapped in one elegant package.
This full-time will work closely within the accounting department and is responsible for all daily accounting activities. In coordination with other accounting personnel, the Jr. Accountant processes accounts payable, accounts receivable, data entry, and other accounting duties. The Jr. Accountant should be able to work effectively within a team as well as work independently on assigned tasks. This person must also be detail-oriented, accurate, organized, and self-motivated. Knowledge and prior experience in accounting are required, in addition to passing a background and credit check.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information.
- Check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Classify, record, and summarize numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using journals and ledgers or computers.
- Understand transactions and how the debit and credit entries reflect on the balance sheet and income statement.
- Perform day-to-day management of all payment cycle activities.
- Reconcile balance sheet account.
- Responsible for receiving, auditing, recording, and preparing daily bank deposits.
- Assist with inventory management and audits.
- Assist with month-end closing and financial statement preparation.
- Responsible for accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Ensure correct approval, sorting, coding, and matching of all invoices and receipts.
- Answers all vendor inquiries and monthly statement reconciliation.
- Reconcile the receivables ledger to ensure all payments are accounted for and properly posted.
- Verifies validity of account discrepancies by obtaining and investigating information.
- Identifies delinquent accounts and insufficient payment.
- Assist with Year-end close process.
- Prepare annual 1099 forms and other Year End forms as needed.
- Operate 10-key calculators, computers, and copy machines to perform calculations and produce documents.
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Reconcile or note, check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper coding and report any discrepancies found in records.
- Access computerized financial information to answer general questions as well as those related to specific accounts.
- Responsible for general office duties, such as filing, answering telephones, and handling routine correspondence including mail distribution.
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned.
- Intermediate Excel User; experience with Pivot tables, macros, formulas, functions a plus.
- Ability to work autonomously and as a team member.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and professional demeanor.
- Six-Sigma minded (continuous improvement mentality).
- Possess an approachable, respectful, friendly, and flexible attitude when handling group/office needs.
- Must be trustworthy, discreet, reliable and responsible.
- Possess a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to interact appropriately with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment without sacrificing quality of work.
- Clean background and credit
Expected Hours of Work
Office hours at Horton Grand are generally Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm. Please understand that as a non-exempt employee, and particularly as the Jr Accountant, additional days and hours may be necessary to accomplish all that is required in your role. You will be paid overtime for any hours over 8 in a day or over 40 in a work week.
Education and Experience
- 4-Year Degree in Accounting or related field from nationally accredited university (verified)
- 2 years of professional accounting experience; hospitality industry experience a plus
- Working knowledge of POS / Operational systems a plus
- Accounting program knowledge (M3 or similar)
- Experience with inventory management, including COGS tracking and reporting
What's in it for you?
- Two (2) weeks of paid vacation to start (accrual rate increases with tenure)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits covered at 80% by the employer
- 401k with employer match
- Paid company holidays
- Competitive pay
Horton Grand HotelSan Diego, CA
Finance and Insurance
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.