Horizons Youth Services – Whitney M. Young Jr. Job Corps Center
Job Corps is a no-cost residential education and career technical training program administered by the U.S. Department of Labor that helps young people ages 16 to 24 improve the quality of their lives through career technical and academic training.
The Whitney M. Young Jr. Job Corps Center is operated by Horizons Youth Services on behalf of the U.S. Department of Labor.
Job Summary: providing maintenance services as needed and/or assigned; assisting in a wide variety of maintenance activities; addressing immediate operational and/or safety concerns; assisting skilled trades; and ensuring that tools, materials and vehicles are maintained in good working order and are available at job site when needed.
• Arranges furniture and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparations for special events.
• Assists skilled maintenance workers with projects (e.g. transporting and/or securing materials, completing specific tasks, etc.) for the purpose of completing projects in a safe, efficient manner.
• Cleans buildings and grounds areas as needed and/or assigned for the purpose of providing an effective working/learning environment, preventing damage and/or limiting liability exposure.
• Coordinates with skilled maintenance workers and/or assigned supervisor(s) for the purpose of completing projects and work orders efficiently.
• Installs system component parts, classroom and office equipment and facility components (e.g. lighting, heating and ventilating systems, alarms, plumbing, security, electrical panels, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and workable environment.
• Maintains assigned vehicle, tools and equipment for the purpose of ensuring availability in safe operating condition.
• Participates in meetings, workshops, trainings, and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
• Performs a wide variety of general and semiskilled maintenance activities (e.g. carpentry, painting, electrical, etc.) for the purpose of completing projects within established time frames.
• Prepares written materials (e.g. repair status, activity logs, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and/or conveying information.
• Repairs furniture and building system components for the purpose of ensuring a safe working condition.• Responds to emergency situations during and after hours for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
• Transports a variety of tools, equipment and supplies for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
• Mows lawns, clears driveways and sidewalks of snow and uses appropriate material to safeguard against slipping on ice.
• Complies with technical operating manuals for equipment and machines.
• Prioritizes daily work orders according to need and assigns staff to complete.
• Maintains log of work orders and coordinates with students’ work orders.
• Monitors assigned activities for students to ensure that high quality work is performed.• Works toward meeting performance management goals.
• Maintains good housekeeping in all areas and complies with safety practices
• Performs other duties as assigned within the individual’s scope and capabilities.
Qualifications and Experience: High School Diploma or equivalent general experience degree (GED) required. Valid state driver’s license.
Horizons Youth Services
Why Work Here?Horizons Youth Services, which began in 1983, helps young people obtain the quality education and relevant job training skills they need to be competitive in today’s rapidly-changing job market. HYS also focuses on providing young people with important life skills and a sense of responsibility that enables them to be productive citizens who can and do improve their communities and their world. Horizons Youth Service believes that programs must focus on the entire person, not just on educational and job training skills. As a result, Horizons Youth Services has developed and operated numerous innovative youth programs throughout its 30-year history that focus on leadership training and team development, including training specifically for Student Government officers at Job Corps centers.
Great company, providing a team focused environment with excellent benefits and compensation