Hours: Full time (37.5 hours per week), Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Location: Lynchburg, VA 24501
Horizon is seeking to fill our Benefits Manager position. The Benefits Manager administers agency-sponsored benefits programs for employees, coordinates annual open enrollment processes, administers workers compensation, administers employee leave policies, and ensures compliance with applicable government regulations, including ADA, ACA, COBRA, FMLA, Workers Compensation, HIPAA, OSHA, as well as ensures the timeliness and accuracy of filings and reports. The employee serves as the primary point of contact for employees and third-party representatives regarding agency-sponsored benefits; vendors and benefits brokers; plan administrators. The Benefits Manager supervises Horizon’s Payroll Specialist, a Transaction Technician, and an HR Associate.
Required Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources Management or a closely related field.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in HR demonstrating expertise with benefits, including at least 1 year leading the benefits HR function, or a related and appropriate combination of education and experience.
The Benefits/Payroll Manager will work in a behavioral healthcare office setting reporting to the Director of Human Resources, and will be responsible for the following:
- BENEFITS ADMINISTRATION: Administers/Manages agency-sponsored benefit programs for employees. Plans include but are not limited to: retirement plans; major medical, dental and vision plans; group life insurance plans; temporary disability programs; leave policies; and voluntary benefit offerings. Serves as the primary contact for benefit plan vendors and third-party administrators. Coordinates annual Open Enrollment process, including the development of a communication and implementation plan outlining timelines, employee communications, the scheduling and hosting of OE meetings, setup and configuration of benefit plans in HRMS and Employee Self Service (Sage product), delivery of election information to carriers, and coordination with IT staff in the implementation/changing of electronic benefit file feeds (EDI). Oversees the maintenance of employee benefit elections in HRMS and the updating of employee payroll records to ensure proper deductions are taken. Ensures compliance with applicable government regulations and assures deadlines are met for all required filings (BLS, VEC, etc.,) and postings (mandatory workplace postings, OSHA, etc.) Ensures compliance with all ACA guidelines, including the offering of benefits, records keeping, and reporting. Evaluates and revises internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency. Documents and maintains administrative procedures for benefits and leave processes. Keeps current on industry, regulatory, and legislative developments that can affect Horizon’s benefits packages and leave policies.
- LEAVE COORDINATOR: Manages the agency’s FMLA and Worker’s Compensation processes and coordinates ADA compliance with Employee Relations Manager. Ensures legal compliance in the processing of paperwork and issuing of required notifications. Monitors active cases, consults with supervisors, and keeps employees informed of status, documentation needs, and time-frames. Works with supervisors to manage absenteeism and ensure leave policies are administered to staff equitably and legally.
- PAYROLL OVERSIGHT: Provides oversight to the payroll function, ensuring the accuracy of pay calculations, including overtime pay calculation, and payroll deductions. Supervises the Payroll Coordinator, providing oversight to the position and assisting in the proactive coordination of benefit changes that impact payroll calculations, deductions, taxes, accruals, etc. Ensures accurate Exempt/Non-Exempt designations in HRIS and Payroll systems for all employees.
- REPORTS/DATA: Develops and compiles requested census data reports as identified by insurance carriers, brokers, and auditors. Reconciles contributions with payroll deductions and for billings for VRS, ICMA-RC, ING, HSAs, Insurance Carriers, and others. Ensures the processing of monthly benefit billings and the preparation of check requests for payment is completed as required. Submits employee and agency contributions to applicable HSA and retirement plans each month.
Related Knowledge, Skill & Abilities:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate with all internal and external customers and provide excellent customer service. Effective organizational, planning and priority-setting skills. Strong knowledge of applicable and pertinent federal and state laws and regulations is essential, i.e., FMLA, Workers Compensation, OSHA, ADA, ACA COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA; IRS, DOL, etc. Strong analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of plan designs and benefits contract language. Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to effectively utilize MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, ABRA, ADP and a variety of other database and software programs. Ability to develop record-keeping, tracking and reporting systems, efficiently utilizing available technology and software and maintaining legal compliance of records and reports. Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates. Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks, projects and deadlines. Willing and available to work modified schedules (weekends, holiday, etc.) as required. Ability to drive and must possess a valid driver's license. May be required to travel to different Horizon worksites during the day based on operational needs or provide admin support at other locations. Regular attendance in training and Horizon meetings may require travel to a variety of Horizon sites. Additional Eligibility Qualifications: Computer software knowledge and prior experience with HR Management Systems and prior experience working with electronic benefit management systems is required. Horizon Behavioral Health is a multi-site agency, the ability to drive to different locations within a 50-mile radius and walk varying distances from possibly uneven and rough surface parking lots to buildings as needed. Periodic travel outside of a 50-mile radius required to attend meetings, workshops, etc. Valid Driver’s License.
Horizon Behavioral Health is celebrating 50 years of being the primary public behavioral healthcare provider in Central Virginia serving individuals with mental health and substance use disorders, as well as individuals with developmental disabilities. Horizon is the proud recipient of the 2016 Giving Back award, has been named Best of Counseling Services in Lynchburg VA in 2017 and 2018, and most recently named Best Place to Work in 2018.
We offer a generous benefits package that includes participation in the Virginia Retirement System; life, health, dental, and vision insurance; annual leave, sick leave and holidays. Horizon participates in the NHSC, as well as PSLF educational loan forgiveness programs. If you are interested in continuing your education, working at Horizon qualifies you to receive discounts at some local universities.
To Apply – Please visit our online career center at www.HorizonBH.org
Horizon Behavioral Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)