Summary of Position
The ideal candidate will be able to function effectively with limited oversight. The DevOps should understand the importance of database integrity in terms of both efficiency and security. This role is responsible for providing technical support for the database environment including overseeing the development and organization of the databases, assessment and implementation of new technologies, and providing Information Technology with a long-term perspective on the relationship of database technology to the business opportunities facing the company. It is extremely important to the company that on-line processing database systems offer the highest reliability and performance possible. This role is challenged to work with architecture, application development and operations to help achieve a state-of-the-art environment that meets current and future business objectives. Provides and designs tools to assist in the management of the database and transaction processing environment.
This a full-time position based in north Dallas, Texas.
Role and Responsibilities
- Monitor and maintain system health and security
- Design backup processes for server and associated data
- Develop and manage file feeds and reporting requirements such as eligibility, premium, sales, provider files
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server administration, backup and disaster recovery scenarios, a strong understanding and experience using T-SQL to automate tasks
- Monitor data quality and integrity and take corrective action as necessary
- Create accounts for all users and assign security levels
- Provide end-to-end technical support and problem resolution
- Schedule and perform regular server maintenance
- Create database management procedures
- Evaluate data analysis models and procedures
- Design, develop, document and implement complex automated development infrastructures for our customers (build automation, deployment automation, test environments, development environments)
- Be a technical expert, providing technical consultation to our customers and project teams
- Develop and document standards and best practices
- Resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways, adapted to each customer’s needs, and be able to communicate the issue and resolution in a clear and concise way
- Provide Linux systems and virtualization/container platform administration
- Continuously stay abreast of existing and emerging DevOps technologies and tools
- Experience using and creating APIs
- A detail-oriented, organized thought process with the ability to act decisively under stressful conditions
- Experience with managing database security, SRS and performance tuning and optimization of database systems
- Experienced with system and application integration
- Understanding of securing/hardening of operating systems, applications and communication channels with outside third parties
- Ability to perform incident response analysis and root cause analysis through research, and peer/vendor support
- Comfortable researching and analyzing system performance issues, new technology and technical, tactical and strategic solutions
- Self-starter that demonstrates initiative and ability to work independently with minimal direction and proven project leadership abilities
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills and effectively relays information to all levels of the organization
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Possesses strong organization and time management skills and has the ability to multi-task and prioritize workload in a high-pressure environment
- Determines database structural requirements by analyzing operations, applications, and programming.
- Develops database solutions, including functional capabilities; security; backup; and recovery specifications, in collaboration with the development and operations teams.
- Proactively maintains database performance by finding and resolving production and application development problems.
- Identifies, evaluates, and recommends technologies to achieve desired database performance.
- Works proactively with the operations team to administer the database infrastructure and resolve challenging performance issues.
- Take on other duties as assigned
- Contribute to the technical design and implementation of system deployment automation and configuration management tools.
- Performs system analysis and programming activities which require research.
- Construct, improve and maintain the automated deployment pipelines.
- Build and maintain system and application snapshots for use with continuous delivery.
- Develop software in appropriate scripting languages using agile design-build-test methodologies.
- Develop unit tests alongside production code in a continuously integrated environment.
- Actively participate in all phases of the software development life-cycle, including research, prototyping, detailed design, development, technical documentation, and defect fixing.
- Use appropriate tooling associated with DevOps engineering and system configuration management.
- Creates required technical documentation.
- Troubleshoot system and deployment issues when needed.
- Collaborate with the wider team on design and code reviews.
- Handles special projects as assigned; including participating in company committees/teams
- Flexible to work additional hours as required
- Continually builds product knowledge
- Complies with all corporate policies and business practices
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- 2+ years’ professional experience or internship
- Advanced knowledge of database structure and theory
- Experience with databases, MySQL, and MSSQL
- Basic understanding of disaster recovery and database backup procedures
- Familiarity with reporting tools
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and assistance
- Experience with storage and networking devices, virtual environment.
- Experience of TCP/IP, HTTP, web application security, and experience supporting multi-tier web application architectures.
- Experience with cloud-native application deployments, and related container mechanisms such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with continuous development tools; i.e., GitHub, Terraform, Jenkins, ELK Stack, Packer, Trello.
- Experience with MS Windows and Linux administration.
Preferred Skills and Technical Proficiencies
- Strong problem resolution skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organization and follow-up skills along with a strong numerical aptitude required
- Effectively manages multiple tasks and handles all responsibilities with a strong sense of urgency
- Able to manage time effectively, takes initiative, manages and adjusts priorities
- Excellent communication skills including an excellent command of English (speaking, reading, writing)
- Qualitative abilities including analytical and effective problem-solving skills
- Willing and able to learn new products, concepts and techniques and computer software programs
- Team player able to work independently in a results-driven, fast-paced environment
Why Work Here?
Lots of room for growth at this amazing company!