Principal Piping Engineer - SMR
- Posted: over a month ago
SMR-160, selected for the Department of Energy’s Risk Reduction project, is designing an unfailingly safe and secure source of clean energy from nuclear fission. SMR-160 is member of the Holtec International family, a global turnkey supplier of equipment and systems for nuclear, solar, geothermal, and fossil power generation sectors of the energy industry.
Come join a growing multidisciplinary team of designers and engineers designing the next generation nuclear power plant. The Principal Piping Engineer will perform nuclear piping flexibility and rupture analysis of critical safety related systems. They will also design and analyze nuclear piping supports based on applicable ASME Section III, Division 1 codes. The Principal Piping Engineer will be part of the civil/mechanical team that designs and analyzes mechanical and structural components of buildings and systems within the SMR-160 plant. The designs and analyses support engineering and licensing requirements, leading to the licensing and construction of the first SMR-160 plant. The Principal Piping Engineer must possess a keen understanding of piping and pipe support analysis methodologies, tools, and codes/requirements to lead and mentor a capable civil/mechanical team to efficiently deliver the SMR-160 design.
Specific Areas of Responsibility:
- Extract plant configuration files from Smart 3D model and perform the necessary translation and transformation to generate an AutoPIPE native file, manually making updates as required.
- Using system design descriptions and piping & instrumentation diagrams, incorporate all applicable loading and load combinations that are pertinent to the system per the applicable service levels.
- Use AutoPIPE to locate supports with appropriate stiffness. After applicable analyses, identify areas of critical over stress regions and recommend routing and support changes to facilitate a viable and cost-effective system.
- Design optimal pipe supports when standard pipe supports are not adequate.
- For rupture evaluation, locate postulated leak and break points and design whip restraints and barriers to mitigate damage to other systems.
- Perform Leak Before Break fracture mechanics evaluation to preclude pipe breaks.
- Review sketches and other conceptual design information for subsequent development.
- Perform independent verification, validation, and oversight of engineering activities.
- Develop and maintain SMR standards and conduct of engineering methods in functional area.
- Provide mentoring and technical direction in areas of expertise to civil/mechanical team.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations to internal and external organizations, including regulatory interactions for which the Principal Piping Engineer will provide subject matter expertise.
- Collaborate with subcontractors and colleagues, including other subject matter experts.
- BS in mechanical, materials, or closely related field of engineering.
- 10+ years of design experience using ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (Section III) to design piping and pipe supports.
- 5+ years of nuclear experience (e.g. NSSS vendor, EPC, utility, engineering consulting, etc.).
- Working knowledge of analytical tools (AutoPIPE, CAESAR II, ANSYS) to analyze time history and response spectrum, transient steam/water hammer, transient safety relief valve discharge, fatigue, etc. and the combinations thereof.
- Working knowledge of various pipe supports (shoes, rods, struts, etc.) and expereince designing and analyzing pipe supports and supplementary steel.
- Effective communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and capable of producing error-free documents.
- Demonstrated good judgment, flexibility, adaptability, mentoring skills, and ability to act independently.
- Ability to plan and organize work tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong math, analytical, problem-solving, and computer skills.
- Eligible to work under 10 CFR Part 810.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- MS or PhD in mechanical, materials, or closely related field of engineering.
- Experience with the Smart 3D (previously SmartPlant 3D) software suite and CAD tools (SolidWorks and AutoCAD).
- Subject matter expertise with ASME B31.1.
- Experience performing pipe rupture analysis and fracture mechanics evaluations.
- Experience working with fabricators/constructors to develop practical and cost-effective designs.
- Experience in commercial nuclear or naval nuclear design.
- Comprehensive knowledge of U.S. Nuclear Regulations and Guidance from 10 CFR 50; 10 CFR 52; NUREG-0800 Chapters 3, 4, 5, and 6; and nuclear quality assurance.
- P.E. License.
Powered by JazzHR
ConstructionView all jobs at Holtec International
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?