RN Clinical Supervisor for the OR and Pre-OP, PACU areas of an Ambulatory Surgery Center
Provides direction to staff members to coordinate patient care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Supports the philosophy, goals and objectives of the Organization.
o Supports, and performs according to, approved policies and procedures.
o Serves as a team member in support of the total operative process.
o Considers patient rights in performance of job duties and responsibilities.
· Competent to act as Team Leader for staff’s provision of care.
o Assigns patient care tasks to staff nurses, surgical technicians, sterile processing technicians, x-ray technicians and patient care technicians with consideration for skill level and patient needs in both the OR and Pre-op/PACU areas.
o Considers daily O.R./Pre-Op/PACU and staff schedules to coordinate unit activities for greatest possible efficiency.
o Completes daily staff assignments and coordinates patient flow in the operating room/Pre-Op/PACU.
o Directs staff in the application of the nursing process. Provides direction, coordinates patients care, promotes and enhances independent functioning among employees.
o Observes nursing care to ensure the care is being carried out as directed and treatment administered in accordance with physician’s instructions and CENTER policy.
o Serves as a resource for staff.
o Investigates and resolves complaints, or refers unusual problems to Administrator.
o Plans, independently and in conjunction with the Administrator for the clinical and leadership development of employees in the operating room.
o Demonstrates leadership through professional behavior.
· Adheres to safety policies and procedures in performing job duties and responsibilities.
o Reports observed or suspected violations, hazards and noncompliance according to Facility policy.
o Observes safety measures in performance of job duties and responsibilities; enforces compliance with safety and security policies and procedures.
o Responds to emergency situations with competence and composure.
o Assists with recommending revisions/new policies, procedures and staffing essential to the achievement of the Center’s objectives for Nursing.
· Interacts appropriately with various age groups.
o Accurately assesses and interprets age-specific patient data.
o Accurately interprets age-specific patient responses to questions and instructions.
o Involves the patient’s family/significant other in decision-making about the patient’s care.
o Provides care appropriate to the patient’s age group.
o Accurately applies knowledge of growth and development.
o Considers age-specific patient requirements when responding to emergency situations.
· Organizes time, equipment, supplies, and staff to provide effective case management.
o Supervises and directs patient care in a single operating room and Pre-op/PACU areas.
o Organizes nursing activities efficiently and effectively delegating activities appropriate to the abilities of available staff members.
o Considers cost-containment by using supplies economically and in effective turnover time.
o Assists with supply, drug and equipment inventories to maintain stock level and availability.
· Manages and motivates staff (including: hiring, firing, performance management, and recognition duties).
· Assess staffing needs, and recruit staff using methods such as newspaper advertisements or attendance at job fairs.
· Train, direct and appraise staff.
· Make daily schedules for proper manpower utilization.
· Plans and organizes workload and staff assignments.
· Issues written and oral instructions; assigns duties and examines work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures.
· Develops workable implementation plans.
· Communicates changes effectively.
· Builds commitment and overcomes resistance.
· Prepares and supports those affected by change.
· Monitors transition and evaluates results.
· Delegates work assignments.
· Matches the responsibility to the person.
· Gives authority to work independently.
· Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
· Provides recognition for results.
· Exhibits confidence in self and others.
· Inspires and motivates others to perform well.
· Effectively influences actions and opinions of others.
· Inspires respect and trust.
· Accepts feedback from others.
Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and TRAINING:
Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two year college and technical school; six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
· Nursing License (NC)
· PALS (preop/postop RN)
Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment.