Responsible for preparing instruments and supplies to perform procedures according to the physician’s documented preferred routine. Also responsible for preparing the operation field for procedures and performing routine and delegated duties. The Material Manager determines and maintains appropriate inventory levels to meet the requirements of scheduled procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Supports the philosophy, goals and objectives of the Organization
o Supports and perform according to approved policies and procedures.
o Participates as a team member in support of the total perioperative process.
o Considers patient rights in performance of job duties and responsibilities.
· Contributes to the progress and development of the approved Quality Management Program.
o Supports risk management and participates in programs directed to patient and staff safety.
o Contributes to the quality management process; identifies role and contributions upon request.
o Objectively evaluates suggestions, grievances, and processes to identify opportunities to improve performance and quality of care.
· Communicates effectively with patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
o Interactions are respectful and courteous.
o Communicates effectively and professionally using a translator when necessary.
o Documents that information received from the patient is disseminated to the appropriate people or departments.
· Maintains and promotes professional competences through continuing education and other learning experiences.
o Participates in committees and quality management activities.
o Seeks new learning experiences by accepting challenging opportunities and responsibilities.
o Objectively evaluates suggestions or criticisms and attempts to improve performance or seeks further guidance, as needed.
o Attends and actively participates in meetings, committees and in-services according to job responsibilities and Facility requirements.
- Contacts vendors to obtain required equipment and supplies.
o Maintains current files, records, and catalogs for equipment and sales representatives who service surgery centers.
o Researches information and vendors to locate specialized equipment requested by the Medical Staff and approved by the governing body.
o Meets with vendor representatives to review new items available and pricing changes.
- Maintains proper levels and timely distribution of inventory.
o Places orders for requisitioned items according to Facility policy.
o Verifies that orders are delivered and in place as needed.
o Supervises receiving area to maintain security.
- Reviews surgery schedule to identify inventory and equipment required.
o Reviews surgery schedules to anticipate unusually high or low demand for supplies.
o Informs supervisor of requirements for special procedures.
- Maintains systems for collection and maintenance of records and documentation of supplies, equipment, and systems.
o Reviews all invoices for accuracy by coordinating packing slips and purchase orders.
o Maintains current order and back order files and records; reviews to determine delays.
o Monitors back orders; communicates with accounts payable to facilitate accurate payment.
o Reports discrepancies to supervisor before payment of invoices.
o Maintains records of current warranties and preventive maintenance requirements and contracts.
o Maintains logs of linen supplies.
o Maintains supplies and records for bio-hazardous waste management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and TRAINING:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and 1 to 3 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology required.
- Experience in material management preferred.
- Must have Operating room technician training, Surgical Technician course or Facility staff development for operating room technicians.
- Computer experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell.