VRV Service Technician - Hoffman Mechanical Solutions, Inc
- Expired: December 15, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
FLSA Status: Variable Refrigerant Service Technician
Variable Refrigerant Director of Technical Operation
Full Time, Non-Exempt (Eligible for overtime)
We are 100% employee-owned through an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). This is a retirement benefit for our
employees that is wholly paid for by the company in addition to 401(k) options for employee contributions. There are
approximately 7,000 ESOPs in the United States, governed by the IRS and the U.S. Department of Labor. Research
indicates that ESOP companies tend to grow faster in sales and employment. ESOP employees tend to have 2.2 times as
much in retirement savings as employees in traditional companies.
Position Purpose: The primary purpose of this position is to provide job site surveys during equipment installation, startup/commissioning of new equipment and systems, warranty service, owner direct preventative maintenance, and troubleshooting/repair services on variable refrigerant air conditioning equipment. This work involves both heat pumpand heat recovery variable refrigerant systems including the system control network. This work also includes associated ancillary equipment such as dedicated makeup/outdoor air units. Hoffman is currently the manufacturer’s representative for Daikin Variable Refrigerant equipment. While Daikin is our primary brand and most of our workload, we also provide end user service support for numerous other brands of variable refrigerant equipment. Strong emphasis on customer
service. This position may occasionally involve after hour call outs to provide emergency repairs. Provide guidance and direction to administrative personnel to effectively plan, schedule, coordinate, etc. all activities related to field variable refrigerant service and construction/replacement work.
Hoffman Mechanical Solutions, Inc. is a company focused on being #1 in the HVAC industry in providing the most innovative HVAC solutions through superior design and customer service.
Employment at Will: Nothing herein is intended to create a contract of employment or to guarantee employment for a definite duration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Service a variety of HVAC products and equipment and ensure customer satisfaction. Heavy emphasis on
variable refrigerant equipment and systems.
• Read and understand blueprints, equipment manuals, and engineering specifications to properly diagnose and
• Use a variety of hand-tools and specialty equipment typical of the commercial HVAC Service trade.
• Perform job site visits to monitor installation of new equipment. Provide technical support to installing
contractor and report installation defects to management as needed.
• Provide start up and commissioning service upon completion of construction. Support installing contractor to
resolve problems that prohibit proper startup and commissioning. (i.e. piping leaks, communication faults,
improper equipment mounting, improper piping installation, etc.)
• Perform routine system preventive maintenance by utilizing manufacturer specific data logging device to analyze
system performance. Must be able to understand the data and analyze in detail so minor problems such as faulty
sensors are found prior to significant equipment damage.
• Respond to service calls and utilize manufacturer specific data logging device to troubleshoot and diagnose
variable refrigerant equipment and systems. Must be able to find root cause of failure and must be able to make
the necessary repairs.
• Identify, analyze, diagnose, and repair other non-variable refrigerant systems and products at customer’s location.
• Survey customer site for properly operating equipment and report any deficiencies found. Provide sales leads to internal associates as necessary.
• Perform preventative maintenance, site surveys, replacement, and modifications as needed or requested by customers.
• Prepare in advance for on-site installation and repairs by examining building layout, anticipating difficulties, gathering materials, and coordinating various trades for on-site work.
• Diagnose/troubleshoot inoperable equipment and develop action plan for repairs and problem resolution.
• Determine replacement parts required, secure materials, and complete repairs on a timely basis. Return any non-used or refundable parts for credit.
• Interact face to face with customers to ensure proper and accurate communications exist.
• Document all work performed by accurately completing field service reports, equipment log sheets, etc.
• Complete and submit all required paperwork on a timely basis.
• Operate and be diligent in properly caring for and maintaining a company vehicle.
• Provide technical support to customers.
Flexible to work overtime/weekends as necessary to meet customer requirements.
• Limited travel required but may include occasional overnight stays.
• Stay informed on industry news and trends, products, services, competitors, and relevant information about
existing and emerging technologies, and the latest product-line developments. Attend company training seminars
to become familiar with product lines.
• Conduct oneself in a professional manner as a positive representative of the company both to the customer and public.
Knowledge/Experience/Critical Skills Required:
• Education/Experience – associate degree or equivalent from a Technical/Trade School with a certificate in
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning. Minimum of Five (5) years related experience preferred or an
equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Operational knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office software preferred.
• Ability to read, comprehend, and write simple instructions and short correspondence. Ability to effectively
present information in one-on-one and small group situations.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole number, common fractions, and
decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentages. Ability to understand data presented in a graphical
format such as pie charts, bar graphs, etc.
• Ability to recognize problems and develop the most cost-effective solution. Ability to collect data, establish
facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Must pass pre-hire requirements including background check, motor vehicle report, and drug screening.
• Must possess valid drivers’ license.
• Must possess EPA mandated card for safe refrigerant handling. Universal certification preferred.
Physical Demand Requirements:
• In order to properly perform the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, talk, hear and use
hands/fingers in order to grasp/handle/feel. The employee frequently is required to walk, reach, stoop, kneel,
crouch, climb up and down ladders and/or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee
must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally
lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. This position requires close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• This position requires frequent working outdoors, inside mechanical/equipment rooms, regularly being exposed
to extreme inside/outside weather conditions to include extreme hot and/or extreme cold. This position is
regularly exposed to live voltage, moving mechanical parts, and heavy equipment. Frequent exposure to wet
and/or humid conditions, elevated and/or precarious workplaces, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical
shock and vibration. Occasional exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The
noise level in the work environment is typically loud
• Standing: Frequently
• Walking: Frequently
• Sitting: Occasionally
• Stooping: Frequently
• Handling/Fingering: Frequently
• Climbing: Frequently
• Bending: Frequently
• Pushing/Pulling 12 lbs. or less: Frequently
• Lifting/Carrying 10 lbs. or less: Frequently
• Lifting/Carrying 11-50 lbs.: Frequently
• Lifting/Carrying 51-75 lbs.: Occasionally
• Reaching Outward: Frequently
• Reaching Above Shoulder: Frequently
• Squatting/Kneeling: Frequently
• Driving: Frequently
This job description is intended to provide information regarding the essential functions and basic duties of this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and duties that could be assigned. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by management as it deems appropriate. This document does not constitute a contract and is subject to change at the discretion of Hoffman Mechanical Solutions, Inc.
Hoffman Mechanical Solutions
Get fresh Refrigeration Technician jobs daily straight to your inbox!