The Executive Director is the key management leader of Historic Rural Hill, Inc, a 265-acre farm and historic site in Huntersville, NC which was also known as The Davidson Farm Homestead. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs calendar, and strategic plan of the organization, including the Foundation and May Davidson Cultural Center. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works with Board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading Historic Rural Hill, Inc. in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Attend monthly Board meetings and supplying required reports.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Historic Rural Hill, to include submission to the Board of monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Rural Hills’s mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of Historic Rural Hill’s programs, including the Loch Norman Highland Games, Sheepdog Trials, Amazing Maize Maze, Food Truck Rallies, and other events that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that Historic Rural Hill can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future, including the expansion of our education program, historic restoration, and large group events.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Historic Rural Hill’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible effective administration of operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization and further as directed by the Board.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of Historic Rural Hill’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
- Ability to interface effectively with Mecklenburg County and the Town of Huntersville for reporting on operations at Historic Rural Hill.
- Willingness to continue to develop professional skills and maintain knowledge of current best practices in non-profit operations and management.
Actual Job Responsibilities:
The following functions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Planning and operation of annual budget. Prepare cost studies and fiscal analysis and financial projections.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serving as Historic Rural Hill’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the state and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance Historic Rural Hill’s mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the Foundation throughout the State.
- Supervise and collaborate with organization staff and volunteers. Provide job descriptions, training, coaching, and evaluation.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Oversee large festivals and events.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Resumes due by 7/26/19