Basic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Define optics grinding and/or polishing concepts, develop prototype processes, testing procedures, analyze results and convert to actual process for implementation in optics production.
- Identify, Plan and Implement Process Improvements using Statistical Process Controls – Standardize/Document, Measure, Compare, Correct
- Further refine existing processes by tracking and plotting data, documenting, standardizing
- Responsible for writing detailed Optical Work Instructions (OWI’s) supporting the various processes.
- Responsible for reviewing completed methods and providing comparisons to the initial process in the event of disparities.
- Reviews product requirements with design staff to ensure compatibility of processing methods.
- Compile and evaluate test data to determine appropriate limits.
- May conceive and plan projects involving definition and selection of new approaches and concepts in processing and development.
- May provide work leadership and training to professional staff and production staff.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Physics, or Applied Engineering discipline.
- 3+ years of optical manufacturing experience.
- Must have a comprehensive knowledge of optical fabrication and glass manufacturing, machining, and polishing processes.
- Experience with various optical materials such as: ULE, Si, CaF2, Zerodur
- Must be knowledgeable in physical and/or geometric optics, and have the ability to read and interpret standard optical component blueprints/specifications.
- Must possess ability to prepare process development plans, cost estimates, schedule estimates and write detailed technical reports.
- Must have excellent communication skills for both constructing optical work instructions and interfacing with other functional departments.
- Must be a team player.
- Physical Requirements: Walking, standing, lifting (up to 50 lbs.), stooping, and keyboarding.