- Responsible for managing department inventory, in-stock position, pricing integrity, merchandising, labor, and other operational processes to company standards.
- Ensure all new department employees receive proper training and supervision.
- Effectively manage employees by efficiently scheduling personnel to meet the needs of the department based on business volume and workloads.
- Accurately record mark ups and mark downs, in-store use of merchandise, voids, refunds and bad merchandise/spoilage write-offs in accordance with company policies.
- Responds to customer enquiries, providing information concerning merchandise selection and prices.
- Keep refrigerated cases and display shelves properly stocked and faced at all times according to product movement, tag allocation and department standards to ensure maximum sales, quality and freshness.
- Maintains the highest levels of department sanitation and cleanliness.
- 3-5 years experience working in a produce department in a large format retail food environment, preferably in a supervisory or assistant supervisory role.
- Post-secondary education and/or experience in merchandising and/or business management is considered an asset.
- Fully knowledgeable with all products carried in the department, including differences between the many varieties and types of products in each produce family (e.g., apples, melons, squashes, etc.).
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills with a talent for building customer loyalty.
- Strong motivational, leadership skills & organizational abilities - able to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of store system skills is an asset.
- Able to operate in changing temperatures on a regular basis.
- Able to walk & stand for extended periods of time.
- Need be able to work flexible shifts including evenings, weekends and holidays.