Hesperian seeks a full-time Marketing and Outreach Manager to join our team. The Marketing and Outreach Manager is responsible for increasing the visibility and sales of Hesperian’s print and digital products, and for promoting our social justice perspective on health. This position manages publicity and marketing activities, including social media, press outreach, presence at conferences, and targeted outreach to individuals, networks, and organizations. Revenue generated from sales of print and digital products contributes 15% of Hesperian’s budget, and the Marketing and Outreach Manager’s responsibilities include meeting increased sales targets and visibility metrics.
- Plan and implement targeted marketing activities to generate visibility for books, mobile apps, and other print and digital resources. Use data and analytics to inform decisions and improve results.
- Oversee and contribute to planning and implementation of regular e-blast and social media communications with Hesperian’s contacts and followers.
- Coordinate content development for Hesperian’s website.
- Work with Hesperian’s graphic designers and contractors to develop new promotional materials including ads, fliers, posters, web pages, videos, etc.
- Participate in Hesperian’s Senior Management team, which tracks progress meeting key organizational goals, adjusts processes, and makes decisions.
- Contribute to the on-going exploration and evaluation of Hesperian’s evolving business model and develop new revenue streams.
- Coordinate with and/or supervise staff, contractors, volunteers, work-study students, and interns.
- At least 5 years of relevant nonprofit experience in marketing and publicity campaigns. Demonstrated ability to write promotional materials.
- Strong planning and project management skills, ability to manage multi-faceted projects.
- Experience managing staff and/or contractors.
- Commitment to social justice, understanding of the issues and politics of community and international health and development.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to Hesperian’s mission and work.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, set and meet deadlines, and adjust to shifting demands and priorities.
- Availability for occasional travel to represent Hesperian at conferences and meetings
- Spanish or French language proficiency a plus.
Starting salary is $55,000 to $65,000 depending on experience. Excellent benefits include vacation, medical, dental, and vision care.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Marketing and Outreach Manager. No phone calls, please.
Hesperian is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Hesperian policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed or religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, genetic characteristics or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
Hesperian’s mission is to equip people with information and tools that empower them to take greater control over their health and environment, and work together to eliminate the underlying causes of poor health. For almost 50 years, our nonprofit organization has collaborated with community health programs, practitioners, and advocates from around the world to produce effective, practical health information for communities and populations facing the greatest barriers to health. Our best-known publication, Where There Is No Doctor, has been translated into over 80 languages, with more than 3 million copies in circulation in 222 countries and territories. Other publications address a range of health needs: women’s health; midwifery; health worker training; early childhood development; community dentistry; support for women and children with disabilities; HIV; occupational health and safety; and environmental health. Our materials are renowned for their simple writing, illustrations and the wealth of life-saving information they contain on diagnosing and treating a range of health problems, as well as addressing the underlying causes of poor health. In recent years Hesperian’s resources have become more widely available in multiple languages and digital formats including our free online HealthWiki, and our suite of women’s health apps.
Hesperian Health Guides develops and publishes books and educational materials that help people take the lead in their own health care and organize to improve health conditions in their communities. Simply written, heavily illustrated, and developed in collaboration with groups around the world, our books contain a wealth of life-saving information on diagnosing and treating a broad range of health problems.