Senior Restoration Design Engineer
- $136,000 to $177,900 Yearly
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
We are Herrera
Envision yourself at a growing, employee-owned company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best performance while making a difference in the world.
We are Herrera, a science, planning, and design consulting firm dedicated to working with clients to develop holistic solutions that provide social and environmental benefit. We protect the environment every day by providing a diverse range of consulting services to cities, counties, state and federal agencies, Tribes, non-profits, and private clients throughout Washington, Oregon, California, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska, and western Canada.
For over 40 years, Herrera has cultivated a collaborative, caring, and values-driven culture that empowers our employee-owners to achieve excellence while ensuring we have fun along the way. By providing our employee-owners with the autonomy to pursue their professional interests and through encouraging them to grow, we benefit from high employee-owner retention that contributes to our longstanding partnerships with clients.
- Treat everyone with respect and dignity, always.
- Insist on integrity, objectivity, and social and environmental ethics in our work.
- Act as stewards of the environment upon which we depend.
- Research and outreach, learn and teach.
- Employee owners, employee leaders.
Herrera seeks an engineer with 15 or more years of professional experience and expertise in planning and design of projects in rivers, streams, and floodplains. You will work as part of an integrated team with ecologists, landscape architects, engineers, and scientists to develop high-performance projects in complex ecological settings. The candidate will support a variety of ecological restoration, flood risk reduction, and infrastructure projection projects for public and private clients throughout the Western United States in collaboration with multidisciplinary internal and client project teams. Typical types of projects include:
- River and stream habitat restoration and enhancement
- Fish passage improvements
- Watershed and floodplain assessment and planning
- Coastal habitat restoration
- River and stream bank stabilization
- Flood control
- Infrastructure development and protection
- Support for other engineering and surface water management projects
Education, Experience, & Licensure/Certifications
- 15+ years of professional experience in concept development and design of stream and river restoration and floodplain management projects
- Bachelor's degree in civil or environmental engineering, or master's degree in civil or environmental engineering if undergraduate degree was not in engineering
- Current professional engineer (PE) license in Washington, Oregon, or California, or ability to readily obtain one via comity application based on licensure in another US state
- Familiarity with Western state and local permitting requirements (e.g., SEPA, HPA)
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Familiarity with West Coast watershed characteristics and processes, preferably from the Pacific Northwest to Northern California
- Experience preparing design plans, construction specifications, and construction cost estimates
- Experience managing design tasks through design completion and construction
- Experience preparing proposals and developing scopes of work and budgets for design work
- Ability to multi-task daily, and work with a fast-paced team of interdisciplinary staff working on several concurrent projects in a variety of jurisdictions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Current driver's license
- Master's degree in civil engineering or environmental science with an emphasis on aquatic ecosystems restoration, hydraulics, and/or geomorphology
- Experience as a project manager of floodplain and restoration design or planning projects
- Fish passage analysis and design experience with roadway culverts
- Construction management and inspection experience
- Knowledge of hydrologic analysis and modeling tools and techniques
- Hydraulic modeling experience (one- and two-dimensional)
- Permit application experience in Western states (e.g., state and federal permits for in-water work, local agency permits for grading, erosion control, etc.)
- Proficiency in the use of AutoCAD and ArcGIS
- Experience with field data collection and related equipment
- Business development experience
- Other specific training and professional organization affiliations should be noted in the applicant's resume and/or cover letter
We are proud to support our employee-owners by offering the following compensation and benefits:
- This position is salaried and exempt from overtime; the annual salary range is $136,000 - $177,900
- Flexible hybrid work culture
- Medical/prescription drug/dental/vision insurance for employees and dependents; employees covered at no cost on base plan with buy-up options available; company contribution for dependents
- Section 125 flexible benefits plans – healthcare and dependent care
- Company-paid life insurance for employees; option to purchase additional life insurance for employees and dependents at employees’ expense
- Company-paid long term disability insurance for employees; option to purchase short-term disability insurance at employees’ expense
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) – we are 100% employee owned!
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Paid vacation, accrued bi-weekly, equivalent to 10 days per year for a 40 hour/week employee and prorated for employees working 24-39 hours/week
- Paid sick leave, accrued bi-weekly, equivalent to 10 days per year for a 40-hour/week employee and prorated for employees working 24-39 hours per week
- Flexible paid holidays (10)
- Paid volunteer time (8 hours annually)
- Company-paid annual membership dues for one professional organization
- Professional development / continuing education allowance
- Discretionary annual bonus
- Transit benefit
To learn more, please visit our website at: www.herrerainc.com
We Are Committed to Equal Opportunity, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Herrera, we celebrate our differences as much as our similarities. We know the best outcomes come from interdisciplinary, diverse, and inclusive teams. Our values are ever-present in the people, culture, and work we do, they are not just a few sentences on our website. We treat people with respect and act with integrity and objectivity. Our employment decisions are based on knowledge, skills, and abilities, and have nothing to do with your race, color, gender, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, medical history, reproductive health decisions, political ideology, veteran status, or physical appearance. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we encourage women, minorities, veterans, disabled veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply for our open positions. We are also a member of E-Verify. To learn more about E-Verify, read the E-Verify Notice and the Right to Work Notice.
Powered by JazzHR
Herrera Environmental Consultants, Inc.Portland, OR
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.