About this Opportunity
As an Ancillary Design and Application Specialist, you'll work in conjunction with Herman Miller Group field sellers and dealers to increase the frequency of Herman Miller Group product specifications (or successful product substitutions) as part of a project or account acquisition strategy. You will be the field expert regarding the ancillary products offered as part of the Group. You'll work closely with Herman Miller A D representatives to coordinate activities to influence Herman Miller Group specifications within the A D community. Your work will free up A D Representatives to pursue other sales activities while you engage with A D firms to assist in the selection, application, and specification of ancillary products. You will also advise dealer designers regarding ancillary Group products on an as needed basis.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Assist in training dealer sales and design personnel on how to successfully position and sell Herman Miller Group ancillary products.
- Work with Herman Miller sellers and dealers in the development, preparation, and presentation of ancillary furniture. You will act as the style and content editor of proposals developed outside of the Proposal Center. You'll also work with Sales Teams to creatively position ancillary solutions.
- Act as the local market subject matter expert for all things Herman Miller Group Ancillary. You will understand and be able to articulate the design story of each brand and the products within each brand.
- Collaborate with market A D Representatives to develop creative strategies to increase the specification of Herman Miller Group ancillary products by A D firms, driving a significant increase in Herman Miller Group ancillary product sales as a result.
- Expertly communicate the essence of each brand within the Group in a manner that drives preference and loyalty within the A D community.
- Prepare design, application, and specification recommendations using the appropriate technology platform (e.g., MRL, CET, etc.).
- Provide relevant market/competitive information to corporate Herman Miller.
- Recommend creative substitution options of Herman Miller Group ancillary products when not specified.
- Collaborate with Sales, Sales leadership, and Distribution to achieve stated business objectives.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in Design, Graphics, Marketing, or another related field.
- Four to five years of experience in a proposal generating and/or presentation generating environment with a minimum of two years of experience in proposal management or high-level project management.
- Commercial interior design, furniture applications, space planning, or equivalent skills and experiences (preferred).
- Contract furniture sales experience (preferred).
- A strong sense of the customer and sales process and a proven ability to facilitate customer and field interaction.
- Proficiency with AutoCad, CAP, Revit, and SketchUp design tools.
- An ability to mentally develop a big picture view and perspective to look beyond the proposal at hand to develop creative strategies geared toward winning business.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- The ability to write in a number of styles, recognize which is most appropriate in each instance, and incorporate the correct style in each proposal.
- Solid knowledge of Herman Miller Group (Herman Miller, Inc., Geiger, Nemschoff, naughtone, Design Within Reach) and products (a plus).
- Exemplary skills in dealing with people and the ability to work effectively with corporate resources and outside copy developers.
- The ability to be deadline-oriented and to work under pressure while tactfully dealing with stressful situations.
- The ability to change priorities quickly and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools used in the Herman Miller office environment.
- Computer literacy in both text based and creative software applications.
- Strong project management and analytical skills.
- Experience working in cross-functional team environments.
- A willingness to travel as needed (e.g. ,customer centers, client locations, training sessions).
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.