Veterinary Student Extern/Preceptorship (VM3-4)
We are seeking highly motivated and passionate veterinary students to join the Heritage Vet Team as Externs/Preceptors (VM3-4). This program provides advanced clinical training and hands-on experience in a dynamic veterinary practice setting. Under the guidance of experienced large and mixed-animal veterinarians and support staff, externs will gain valuable insight into the daily operations of a rural veterinary clinic and enhance their clinical skills.
Heritage Vet Partners has practices in many states throughout the U.S. (IA, IN, MO, MN, NE, OH, VA, WI, WV) offering a wide variety of livestock and companion animal services.
1. Shadowing and Assisting:
- Shadow veterinarians during consultations, surgeries, herd checks and other medical procedures to gain practical knowledge and skills.
- Assist in patient examinations, medication administration, laboratory sample collection, diagnostic imaging and herd health consultations.
- Observe and participate in emergency and critical care situations.
2. Communication and Client Interaction:
- Accompany veterinarians in client communication and education.
- Assist in explaining treatment plans and offering medical advice to livestock/pet owners.
- Enhance interpersonal skills by interacting with clients in a professional and empathetic manner.
3. Administrative Support:
- Contribute to maintaining accurate and up-to-date medical records for each patient/herd.
- Assist in inventory management, including ordering supplies and restocking trucks/treatment areas/exam rooms.
- Collaborate with the administrative team to ensure efficient clinic operations.
- Must be actively enrolled in a veterinary school program (within the VM3-4 years).
- Strong interest in livestock or mixed animal medicine and surgery.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work efficiently both independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn and take initiative.
- Attention to detail and ability to follow instructions accurately.
Duration and Compensation:
The externship/preceptorship program can vary in duration, ranging from 2 weeks to 12 weeks, depending on the applicant's availability and program requirements. Positions are typically unpaid, although some clinics may offer a stipend or compensation package to help cover travel and/or living expenses.
Interested candidates should complete the application form, submit their resume, cover letter, and any required documentation from their veterinary school program. Additionally, a letter of recommendation from a faculty member or veterinary professional may be requested. Interviews will be conducted to assess the candidate's suitability for the program.
We look forward to welcoming dedicated veterinary students to this exciting opportunity!
Heritage Vet Partners and their Partner ClinicsWest Point, NE
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.