Special Education Teacher
- Posted: 23 days ago
Heritage Academy has a positive working environment and offers:
- Monday to Thursday school week
- Competitive salaries/wages and compensation
- Healthcare benefits
- Participates in the Arizona State Retirement System
- Small class size
- Active PTO
- Responsive administration
This position is responsible for planning, developing, delivering, and evaluating appropriated individualized educational services, learning programs, and instruction for special needs students in an inclusive (mainstreamed) setting in consultation with general education teachers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist special education students in their education, emotional, social, and behavioral needs
- Maintain regular communication with parents by means of email, phone calls, conferences, and progress reports
- Collaborate with other Heritage Academy campuses
- Manage all Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and review with parents, administrators, and teachers.
- Facilitate all special education meetings – Review of Existing Data (RED), Multidisciplinary (MET), Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and 504 plans
- Identify the needs of assigned students through formal and informal assessments
- Collaborate with general education teachers regarding the educational, social, emotional, and physical needs and objectives of each student
- Monitor, evaluate and document each student's progress utilizing appropriate measurements and assessment devices
- Prepare timely progress reports for each student
- Develop and implement necessary interventions and strategies to promote achievement of student objectives
- Ensure adherence to reasonable rules of classroom discipline and order to maintain a secure and effective learning environment
- Manage student behavior through monitoring, supervising and assessing behavioral patterns
- Utilize appropriate corrective methods to modify behavior
- Develop and implement Behavioral Intervention Plans (BIPs) where necessary
- Complete Transition Plans for IEP students
- Maintain accurate and complete records in compliance with school district regulations and legal requirements
- Maintain a current knowledge of special education best practices and trends
- Schedule needed therapies (Speech, OT, Counseling, etc.)
- Manage students’ schedules
- Supervise paraprofessionals
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Competencies & Strengths
Education: Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field
Experience: 3-5 years of experience in educating special needs students required.
- Valid state Special Education Teaching Certification
- Experience in assessing learning disorders and responding with the appropriate interventions
- Proven effective classroom and student behavior management skills
- Knowledge of current special education practices and methodologies
- Knowledge and understanding of State, local, and federal regulations and policies affecting special education
- Working knowledge of educational technology applications, experience with IEP Pro and Assistive Technology preferred
Type of fingerprint clearance: Shall be fingerprint checked pursuant to A.R.S 15-512
Physical functions: Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, and operate a computer, hand-held learning devices and other office equipment. Reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Equipment used: Frequent computer use is expected.
Work Environment: Typical office environment is expected; occasional exposure to outdoor weather.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not exclude or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Heritage Academy Inc
EducationView all jobs at Heritage Academy Inc
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?