Under direct supervision of
the provider and nursing leadership, performs a variety of administrative and
clinical tasks to assist in the quality and compassionate care provided to
patients. These duties include the greeting and escorting of patients to the
exam room; taking medical histories, the measurement and recording of vital
signs; preparing patients for the examination/procedure; and assisting the
physician during the examination/procedure. Demonstrates clinical competence as
a Medical Assistant.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Perform initial-response screening following protocols approved
by supervising physician.
2. Escort patient to room and prepares patient for examination,
procedure and treatment.
3. Obtain vital signs and record in the EHR.
4. Obtain, evaluate, and record patient history employing critical
5. Prepare for, set up and assist with examinations, procedures,
and treatments per protocols, policies, and procedures.
6. Prepare and administer oral, parenteral medications and
immunizations as ordered by the supervising physician based on Henry Ford
Medical Group medication policy. Documents medication administration following
the 6 rights in the EHR.
7. Maintain medication and immunization records.
8. Documents care provider during patient visit in EHR.
9. Recognize and respond to emergencies.
10. Responds to patient requests via telephone encounter, In
Basket message and/or My Chart according to identified time frames and
documents responses in the EHR.
11. Monitors and performs in basket duties to ensure timely
12. Enters medication, radiology and lab orders in the electronic
health record for provider sign off.
13. Discharges patient providing after visit instructions to
patient and/or care giver as directed by the provider.
14. Enters medication refill
orders per protocol
1. Collect and process specimens.
2. Perform CLIA-waived tests.
3. Perform electrocardiography, respiratory and other testing
based on department needs.
4. Perform phlebotomy,
including venipuncture and capillary puncture.
1. Serve as a liaison between patients and medical staff in the
event of problems or complaints.
2. Schedule, coordinate, and monitor appointments.
3. Schedule outpatient procedures.
4. Apply third-party and managed care policies, procedures and
5. Obtain insurance pre-authorizations.
6. Enters referrals for
provider sign off.
1. Participate in departmental/divisional Quality Assessment and
Quality Improvement Programs.
2. Practice Standard Precautions, including hand washing and
disposal of biohazardous materials.
3. Apply principles of aseptic and sterile technique.
4. Clean instruments and equipment per policies and procedures.
5. Comply with all HFHS and departmental specific safety
6. Maintain compliance with
regulatory standards regarding practice, environment and documentation.
1. Function as a health care advocate to meet individual's needs.
2. Educate individuals in office policies and procedures.
3. Educate the patient within the scope of practice and as
directed by supervising physician in health maintenance, disease prevention,
and compliance with patient's treatment plan.
4. Identify community
resources for health maintenance
1. Uphold goals, policies, procedures and expectations of the
Henry Ford Health System (HFHS).
2. Support the mission, vision, and values of the HFHS.
3. Maintain examination/treatment rooms, including inventory of
supplies and equipment.
4. Maintain core and applicable specialty competencies as defined
by the Henry Ford Health System.
5. Other duties as assigned
within scope of practice.
from a Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
or Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) Medical Assistant
Program or Graduate of a formal medical assistant program with a minimum of one
year continuous work as Medical Assistant with verifiable clinical experience
of a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program.
of a clinical externship.
to perform a wide variety of clinical skills as related to ambulatory patient
computer knowledge and keyboarding skills. Successful completion of HFMG
pharmacology class and test.
REQUIRED: Current BLS-C certificate.
Medical Assistant (CMA) or Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) preferred.
Henry Ford Health System, one of the largest and most comprehensive integrated U.S. health
care systems, is a national leader in clinical care, research and education. The system includes
the 1,200-member Henry Ford Medical Group, five hospitals, Health Alliance Plan (a health
insurance and wellness company), Henry Ford Physician Network, a 150-site ambulatory
network and many other health-related entities throughout southeast Michigan, providing a
full continuum of care. In 2015, Henry Ford provided $299 million in uncompensated care.
The health system also is a major economic driver in Michigan and employs more than 24,600
employees. Henry Ford is a 2011Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient. The
health system is led by President and CEO Wright Lassiter III. To learn more, visitHenryFord.com.
Whether it's offering a new medical option, helping you make healthier lifestyle choices or
making the employee enrollment selection experience easier, it's all about choice. Henry
Ford Health System has a new approach for its employee benefits program - My Choice
Rewards. My Choice Rewards is a program as diverse as the people it serves. There are
dozens of options for all of our employees including compensation, benefits, work/life balance
and learning - options that enhance your career and add value to your personal life. As an
employee you are provided access to Retirement Programs, an Employee Assistance Program
(Henry Ford Enhanced), Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Time Off, Employee Health and Wellness
and access to day care services at Bright Horizons Midtown Detroit, and a whole host of other
benefits and services. Employee's classified as contingent status are not eligible for benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Henry Ford Health System is
committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals without regard to
race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, size, height,
weight, marital status, family status, gender identity, sexual orientation, and genetic information,
or any other protected status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.