Principal Software Engineer
Do you want to work for a company that creates remarkable experiences through people, products and food? If you want to be part of a rewarding, People First culture that values relationships, trust, taking the long view and innovation, then we are the company for you.
As a Principal Software Engineer you will play a key role in designing a wide range of commercial cooking equipment. You have the opportunity to be involved with implementing and supporting new products, product improvements, product enhancements, customization, solving customer related problems, creating and overseeing new processes, and you are involved with other engineers and engineering disciplines. You are involved in design extensions to current product lines to meet the needs of a diverse customer base, review creative solutions to application problems that occur on our new and mature products, and research new or emerging technologies.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Work on complex, less clearly defined projects under limited supervision.
- Conduct and participates in periodic reviews of work output.
- Apply knowledge to analyze complex system issues and then take action.
- Create product requirements and conducts technical feasibility studies.
- Create system design requirements, detailed technical specifications, and risk management.
- Estimate the costs, resources, and time to complete a project.
- Verify the specifications and prototypes by designing and reviewing test cases.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure project objectives are met.
- Improve skills and product knowledge by getting additional training and continued education.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight to other engineers as needed.
- Respond to internal/external inquiries about the technical aspects of our products.
- Champion internal process improvements and helps create a roadmap.
- Complete tasks that support the overall schedule and clearly communicates status.
- Assist in the development of user/tech manuals as needed.
- Follow best practices and all regulatory procedures for ISO, UL, CE, and others as required.
- Maintain an organized and clean lab/project environment.
- Take overall responsibility for designing and implementing system specifications and formal representations of solutions used to create, modify, test, debug, deploy, and maintain system software that operates hardware and/or interacts with the product user or automated system.
- Troubleshoot, analyze, and revise existing system logic and software as necessary.
- Champion the use of software development tools with well-defined processes.
- Provide detailed technical reports to the team and management including presentations to small and large groups.
- Investigate new technology and/or methods to solve problems or create value.
- Deliver internal and/or external technical presentations.
- Train, mentor and coach junior level engineers in their professional development.
- Provide historical data and information about products.
- Consistently models the Company Values and Expected Behaviors
- Other duties as assigned.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- 10+ years engineering experience
- 5+ years in the food service industry preferred
- Intimate design knowledge of 5+ Henny Penny products preferred
- Collaborative style and a passion for learning, laughing, and achieving
- Ability to teach and provide technical leadership to other Software Engineers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to do technical presentations with a wide audience including customers and executives
- Ability to run medium size projects
- Advanced experience with source control and Eclipse based development tools
- Advanced ability to develop/implement bootloaders, low level drivers, libraries, and BSPs
- Expert in C/C++
- Expert with state machines
- Expert with interrupts and how they work
- Excellent understanding of Boolean and hexadecimal math
- Excellent understanding of multi-tasking and how to debug
- Excellent understanding of digital and analog electronics
- Excellent understanding of microprocessor internals
- Advanced knowledge working with RTOS and/or embedded Linux
- Expert ability to develop and debug code for timers, PWM, real-time clocks, PID
- Excellent understanding of UART/USART, RS232, RS485, Modbus, CAN, USB, Ethernet, SPI, I2C, Flash, EEPROM, and ADC/DAC
- Ability to read and understand schematics
- Ability to perform advanced electronics debugging/troubleshooting, use a debugger to perform complex operations and effectively use a multimeter and an oscilloscope.
- Design complex systems and create system documentation
- Advanced understanding of HMI programming
- Advanced ability to design and implement wireless data communications (Wi-Fi, Zigbee, Bluetooth)
- Experience with IoT solutions, edge and cloud computing
- Intermediate knowledge of networking architectures and security concepts
- Automated testing (desired)
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes
What we Offer:
- An opportunity to work for a company that is 100% employee owned. As an employee owner, you are eligible to participate in our employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) program following one year of service.
- Annual company performance bonus
- Ability to work from home
- Defined career paths to help you get where you want to go
- Professional Development opportunities including unlimited free access to LinkedIn Learning courses and tuition reimbursement
- A competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with company match, PTO and paid holidays
- Onsite wellness clinic
- Employee activities including department outings, holiday parties and our annual company-wide Thanksgiving Dinner
Where We’re Located – Eaton, Ohio
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in this opportunity, please complete the online application and attach your resume at www.hennypenny.com/careers.
Henny Penny is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability or handicap, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and pregnancy-related conditions), marital status, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender status), or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Henny Penny Corporation
Why Work Here?We’re known in our industry for making the best commercial food equipment in the world. Every day 100,000,000 people eat in restaurants operating Henny Penny equipment. We’re a behind-the-scenes engine in the world’s most demanding kitchens. We’re confident you’ve heard of our customers — including long-term partners like McDonald’s, Chick-fil-A, KFC, Wendy’s. We’re 800+ employee owners who thrive by living a People First mission. It’s a mission to enable all employees to be the best version of themselves by learning, growing, and thriving both personally and professionally. We are currently undergoing the largest expansion in our history with an addition of 150,000 square feet to our Eaton Building. This expansion will help us continue developing the world’s most reliable, easy-to-use equipment.
Incredible company and culture, creating remarkable experiences through people, products and food!