Come join Hennepin County Library (HCL) in our Library Services Division. We are looking to fill multiple Library Specialist roles across the county.
Specialists are most often the first point of contact in providing a welcoming environment to all library users. They help patrons with the use of library equipment, help patrons who are applying for and receiving library cards, and handle all borrowed and returned materials. These positions require a large amount of physical activity throughout their entire shift, top notch customer service and great attention to detail.
To hear directly from our staff about the work we do at HCL - click here!
Location and hours:
This position location and hours vary according to the current needs of the Hennepin County Library system. In addition to working daytime hours, a regular schedule of evening and weekend hours is required.
About the position type:
Full-time, part-time, and substitute vacancies are available and filled as needed over the next 6-12 months.
In this position, you will:
- Provide strong customer service in person, over the telephone, and online.
- Assist with patrons with checking out and returning materials, accepting payments for fines/fees, issuing new library cards, and resolving patron concerns regarding service and policies.
- Assist patrons with the use of library technology and resources, including library computers, printers, scanners, photocopiers, downloadable materials, and audiovisual equipment.
- Shelve books, DVDs, CDs, magazines, and other materials in their proper location.
- Unpack, sort, and organize, library materials from daily deliveries and returns; in some buildings, this requires the use of an automated materials handling machine to move materials with conveyors and other electronic parts.
Need to have:
- One of the following:
- Eighteen months or more of customer service experience.
- One year or more of customer service experience and completion of the Office Specialist Pathway Training program.
- Six months or more of customer service experience and completion of the Healthcare Clerical Pathway Training program.
- Note: Education may be substituted for experience on a month for month (3 semester credits = 1 month) basis.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service in a fast-paced environment with diverse patrons.
- Ability to:
- Bend to the floor, twist, and reach above one's head to put books on shelves.
- Lift, pack, unpack, and move boxes of library materials, and push book carts requiring up to 20 pounds of push force to move with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Be available for a combination of daytime, evening, and weekend work shifts.
- Be sixteen years of age or older.
Nice to have:
- Experience interacting in person, over the telephone and online with individuals from diverse backgrounds including people with limited English skills.
- Ability to use and provide routine troubleshooting for mobile devices, computers, and computer software including Microsoft Office and internet browsers.
- Experience providing customer service in a reception area, retail, or a similar setting that included accepting payments, answering questions, or explaining policies to members of the general public.
- Fluency in one or more languages.
Candidates with fluency in another language in addition to English are encouraged to apply. Bilingual candidates who pass a language assessment may qualify for additional bilingual pay and duties.
About the department:
Hennepin County Library works to nourish minds, transform lives and build community together. We are about much more than books. In addition to a collection of almost 5 million books, CDs and DVDs, the library system maintains a treasure trove of documents and online resources, and offers programming to aid and enrich Hennepin County residents and clients.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
The list of applicants created from this posting will be used to fill current and future full-time, part-time, and substitute vacancies.
This position is internally classified as an Office Specialist II.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
Final candidates may be required to complete a drug test and/or background check.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Employment Type: Varies