General Summary of the Position:
Responsible for field inspections of equipment for the service/shop operations for Hemphill and MSI. Supports/assists field crews in proper operation and care of equipment.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Detailed inspections of equipment for normal wear and tear and/or abuse and neglect.
- Track and update equipment hour meter readings via GPS system (Caterpillar Vision Link). Coordinate with Equipment Manager.
- Conduct field safety inspections. Reports to Safety Director.
- Interface with Equipment Manager to ensure all company, personnel, and budget/expense policies and procedures are followed.
- Perform DOT inspections on trucks / IFTA stickers / Tags / Licenses on vehicles. Make sure all company logos, decals and unit numbers are highly visible and legible. If missing, replace decals as necessary.
- Keep up-to-date working knowledge of all DOT regulations and requirements.
- Implement tags/renewals for licensing vehicles.
- Temporarily manage the shop/service operations in the absence of the Service Manager.
- Assist with the implementation/interpretation of safety programs.
- Attend and/or facilitate equipment and safety meetings
- Communicate with vendors, rental companies and outside maintenance companies related to warranty claims and/or new service/parts issues. File necessary warranty claims, where applicable. Review CSA reports, oil sample reports, etc.
- Ensure that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed. Bring problems to the attention of the Equipment Manager and/or Service Manager.
- From time to time, cook meals for field and/or office crews via the company with provided BBQ trailer to promote company morale.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and experience reading, understanding, and implementing maintenance schedules/schematics/parts books.
- Basic mathematical / computer skills are required.
- Excellent communication skills to lead mechanics/welder(s) in labor, equipment maintenance, and repairs.
- Thorough knowledge of proper use of equipment, tools, materials, and supplies used in heavy construction work.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable safety procedures.
- Ability to work independently and make appropriate decisions.
- Ability to cordially discuss problems in the field in a professional, non-confrontational manner.
- Ability to focus on providing quality customer service to internal and possibly external customers.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Must have at least 10+ years of experience in the heavy construction equipment industry.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required; some college preferred.
- Valid appropriate state driver’s license (general operator license) required; Class A or B CDL strongly preferred.
- OSHA certifications are a plus (30hr training, trench shoring, confined space, and first aid)
- Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work.
- Regularly works near moving mechanical parts inside and outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and asphalt.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull or carry objects, use abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue and to effectively jump, sprint or throw an object.
- Requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multi-limb coordination.
- Noise level may be loud
- Must be willing to travel at least 75% of the workweek. Overnight travel is required in six (6) state area: Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee and/or Florida.
- Must be able to quickly move arms and legs.
- Long drive times in company supplied vehicle will be required.
Powered by JazzHR
Hemphill Construction Company