Chief Development Officer - Fundraising - National Democratic Institute (NDI)
- Expired: June 06, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
My client National Democratic Institute (NDI) is hiring for a Chief Development Officer. Details below:
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is responsible for overseeing all aspects of private-sector fundraising for the Institute. The Chief Development Officer provides overall strategic direction to identify and pursue opportunities to diversify NDIs funding base within the private sector among foundations, corporations and individual donors, and will coordinate and implement major fundraising campaigns and activities. The CDO is a member of the Executive Leadership team. This position works closely with and reports to NDIs President, and is based in Washington, DC with travel within and outside the United States.
Essential Accountabilities/ Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement comprehensive annual fundraising plan and timeline, to include special initiatives, events, private and family foundations, corporations, and individual donors at all levels of giving
- Create annual fundraising budget that corresponds with the Institutes fiscal year and the annual fundraising plan; including forecasts and evaluations of fundraising potential for each activity and program
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with individual and corporate donors, foundations, and other sources of private funds
- Work creatively with the team to identify opportunities for donor engagement and prospecting including funder briefing, in-person gatherings, special reports, etc.
- Develop, manage, and lead an active donor stewardship, cultivation, and communications program
- Develop and manage affinity groups, including Alumni Council, Ambassadors Circle and Equal Voices (LGBTQI+)
- Manage foundation grant applications, as well as reporting to foundations, corporations and individual donors
- Work closely with the NDI Board of Directors, Executive Staff and Public Affairs on major fundraising projects and special events
- Develop and oversee fundraising events including donor briefings, small cultivation events, and two annual events. Closely manage the cost per dollar raised ratio, ensuring appropriate expenditure of NDI resources.
- Develop the strategy and content for NDIs online monthly giving program
- Work with the Communications team to develop fundraising materials and strategies to ensure consistency with NDI brand and communication objectives.
- Collaborate across program, communications, and operations teams to ensure that fundraising is integrated across the organization
- Provide direct support to the President on all aspects of fundraising activities and responsibilities.
- Provide leadership and support to board members in their fundraising efforts.
- Coordinate and manage relationships with any independent fundraising consultants.
- Conduct leadership responsibilities, ensuring a culture of mutual respect, collaboration, high performance, continuous improvement, and execution of all activities in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, as well as in accordance with NDIs established values, policies, standards and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives.
- Ensure appropriate management and maintenance of donor and prospect records, gift management systems, and reporting to make certain that data is clean with minimal errors.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent relevant work experience required; advanced degree preferred.
- Fifteen (15) years of progressive leadership, five (5) of which in senior management roles, preferably working with a non-profit, NGO, or similar international organization.
- Five to seven (5-7) years of experience in major gift work and/or capital campaigns required, with particular experience working for an international organization
- Experience in political fundraising, public relations, non-profit management or related field preferred
- Demonstrated experience leading, participating in, and executing strategic and operational planning and strategies to ensure program clarity around performance expectations, both at the organization and individual levels; alignment with the organizations vision, mission, and values; and, integration of relevant market and stakeholder information.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated success in fundraising for international donor-funded programs, including major gifts, annual giving and event planning, and capital campaigns
- Established network of top level contacts of major funding sources including individual, corporate, and foundation sectors
- Knowledge and understanding of policies and procedures of a variety of international donors
- Knowledge of campaign development and planned giving
- The ability to build/foster relationships by reinforcing trust and respect and demonstrating high standards of tact, diplomacy and discretion
- Knowledge of business operations, including effective budget development and management processes, as well as the ability to translate strategic thinking into action plans and related outcomes
- Exceptional writing capabilities and ability to craft successful development communication materials
- Effective and persuasive communication skills to engage staff, Board of Directors, current and prospective donors
- Outstanding attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes.
- Strong project management skills
- A high level of confidence, integrity, interpersonal skills, and a professional executive presence for effectively interacting with and influencing others, internal and external to NDI.
- Ability to manage uncertainty and conflict, as well as maintain composure and demonstrate control in difficult or complex situations.
- Excellent organizational, facilitation, negotiation, and analytical skills, as well as a demonstrated propensity to be creative, proactive, and self -motivated in the execution and completion of assigned accountabilities.
- Highly effective leadership skills relative to staff development, management, and retention and achieving results through fostering the initiative and abilities of others.
- Demonstrated ability to establish credibility and be decisive and results-oriented while fostering a culture of inclusion and equity in balancing varying considerations/priorities, as well as the ability to demonstrate sound judgment, and critical thinking relative to complex problem/resolution at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Technical proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office. Previous experience with Google Suite and Salesforce preferred
- Knowledge and/or previous work experience with NDI preferred
Powered by JazzHR
TechnologyView all jobs at Helios HR