Soil Microbiome Research Associate
Heliae Development Gilbert, AZ
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: vision, 401k, dental, life insurance, medical,
Soil Microbiome Research Associate
Heliae is seeking a highly motivated research associate to work with our thriving soil microbiome team based in Gilbert, AZ. This role will assist basic and applied soil microbiome research programs aiming to support existing products and to develop novel microbial products for agricultural and environmental applications.
Heliae is having a global impact at www.heliae.com
Title: Research Associate
Department: Soil Microbiome
The Soil Microbiology Associate will support Heliae’s R&D program aimed at developing and commercializing algae-based agricultural products. The candidate will conduct regular soil microbiological assays in laboratory, greenhouse, and/or field settings. The candidate will be responsible for handling chemicals and operating laboratory equipment/instrumentation independently or in collaboration with other lab associates. Primary duties will include basic laboratory maintenance and workspace upkeep, as well as managing sample and chemical inventory. The candidate will comply with all Heliae laboratory safety and quality standards.
Reports to: Research Scientist – PGPM and Microbiome
Primary Responsibilities and Duties include but are not limited to:
1. Laboratory maintenance including preparation of microbial media, buffers, and other reagents.
2. Isolation, purification, and identification of key soil microbes (bacteria and/or fungi) based on soil microbiome characterization.
3. Microbiological and molecular characterization (PCR) of beneficial bacterial or fungal isolates and identify key traits important to soil and plant health.
4. Documentation of soil sample intake and perform selected soil health assays.
5. Performs sample preparation and handling for nucleic acid extraction from environmental samples (e.g., soil, plant roots and tissue).
6. Assist Heliae scientists, agronomists, and engineers on large-scale production and commercialization of beneficial microbes.
7. Prioritize daily task to meet the needs of all team members, and effectively communicate progress and results in a timely manner.
8. Comply with all job-specific Standard Operating Procedures if applicable.
9. Maintain housekeeping and chemical hygiene standards and assist in organizing the work area according to 5S and LEAN principals.
10. May perform other duties as needed or directed by the Direct Supervisor.
· BS degree in microbiology, molecular biology, plant biology or related science fields.
· 1+ year of prior hands-on research laboratory experience in microbiology, biological sciences, biotechnology, or related field is highly preferred.
· Ability to work well in a collaborative environment with minimal supervision.
· The ability to work 40 or more hours per week at Heliae’s headquarters in Gilbert, Arizona, including occasional weekend days
· Occasionally (0-33%) lift or carry up to 60 lbs
· Frequently (34%-66%) perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers
· The ability to travel if needed for conferences or workshops
Heliae is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Heliae® is a platform technology company that uses sunlight and waste carbon to produce high-value products from algae. Based in Gilbert, AZ, Heliae is leveraging its core production technology into four target markets: agrosciences, nutrition, therapeutics, and health & beauty. With a seasoned management team and world-class science, Heliae is advancing the future of the algae industry by delivering novel algae-based products to dynamic markets around the world.
578 E. Germann RdGilbert, AZ
ScienceView all jobs at Heliae Development