Scientist, Synthetic Biology
Heliae Development Gilbert, AZ
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Scientist I-II, Microbial Genome Engineering (Synthetic BiologyScientist, Synthetic Biology
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Heliae is hiring a distinctive Scientist to develop, optimize and execute workflows for high throughput engineering of microbial genomes. The Scientist will use and improve existing protocols and develop new technologies to deliver relevant program milestones at Heliae. The Scientist will work collaboratively with other scientists, research associates, and process engineers to achieve the goals above. This is also an opportunity to directly impact program success while shaping the microbial engineering platform of the future.
Job Description and Specific Responsibilities
Immediate responsibilities involve:
- Functioning as part of a team of Scientists and Research Associates to deliver on multi-step wet lab program.
- Designing and executing wet lab experiments to generate data that informs project-wide decision making.
- Designing and generating plasmids and engineered strains to meet timelines and deliverables for programs at Heliae.
- Improving efficiency of existing workflows for improved economics, equipment utilization, and turnaround time.
- Identifying and developing next generation techniques for DNA assembly, microbe transformation, and genome-editing of a variety of microbes (e.g., bacteria, yeast, and microalgae)
- Determining the technical feasibility of new projects and executing experiments that efficiently test new technologies.
- Developing molecular and microbiology techniques that can broadly apply across different types of microbes including microalgae.
· May manage 1-2 Research Technicians or Research Associates
· PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, or related field with 2-5 years of hands-on industry experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
· History of successfully working within a team to develop genome engineering technologies in the field of molecular biology.
· Demonstrated creativity and problem solving in a variety of fields.
Biology and Chemistry Skills:
- Expertise handling or engineering eukaryotic and prokaryotic microbes.
- Strong technical background in high throughput strain engineering of model and/or non-model microbes.
- Experience in developing genomic engineering tools and improving the efficiency of workflows involving modern synthetic biology efforts.
- Proficiency with a variety of techniques to build DNA assemblies.
- Familiarity with CRISPR gene-editing technologies is preferred.
- Familiarity with Next-Gen sequencing applications to analyze various types of DNA samples is preferred.
- Proficiency with techniques used to build large DNA assemblies from a library of DNA parts.
- Understanding of genetics and gene regulation for a variety of eukaryotic and prokaryotic microbes.
- Experience with microalgae is a plus.
Advanced Technical Tools:
- Experience at utilizing laboratory automation (Tecan, Agilent and others) to assist with complex or lengthy workflows.
- Competent in using statistics to strengthen experimental design and enable robust data analysis.
- Success in technology transfer/handoff of materials/processes to other teams.
- Experience with novel whole-genome assembly and annotation is a plus.
- Independently driven to excel in a high-energy startup culture.
- Proven track record of collaborating and communicating within a team to achieve complex deliverables.
- Must be comfortable communicating and working with others across departments and disciplines.
- Proven track record of initiative, attention to detail, and providing/adapting to feedback.
- Strong interest in improving and optimizing workflows while continuing to deliver on project milestones
Our facilities are located in the general Pheonix AZ area (Gilbert, Arizona).
Heliae® is a platform technology company that uses sunlight and waste carbon to produce high-value products from algae. Based in Gilbert, AZ, Heliae is leveraging its core production technology into four target markets: agrosciences, nutrition, therapeutics, and health & beauty. With a seasoned management team and world-class science, Heliae is advancing the future of the algae industry by delivering novel algae-based products to dynamic markets around the world.
578 E. Germann RdGilbert, AZ
ManufacturingView all jobs at Heliae Development