- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Research Associate / Sr. Research Associate, Microbial Genome Engineering (Synthetic Biology)
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Heliae (in collaboration with Allagi Biotechnology) is hiring a Research Associate to develop, optimize, and execute workflows for high throughput engineering of microbial genomes (e.g., DNA build, strain build, and/or sequencing prep). Responsibilities include: improving existing processes, as well as establishing new protocols for effectively delivering program milestones to produce high-value products at industrial scales. In this role you will interact with other scientists and production engineers to achieve our goals. You will directly impact program success while shaping the microbe engineering platform of the future within a dynamic new startup company environment.
Experience designing and executing wet lab experiments. BS or MS degree in biological sciences, chemistry or relevant discipline. Technical training in biology, molecular biology, microbiology, genetics, genomics, or related engineering fields. Demonstrated excellence and high achievement in previous technical and non-technical work. We prefer candidates with experience in the following areas described below.
Job Description and Typical Specific Responsibilities
· Construction of plasmids, strain libraries, and sequencing libraries to meet deliverables.
· Design DNA assemblies using cutting edge molecular biology techniques.
· Employ DNA analysis software tools to construct, design, and evaluate large datasets.
· Genome engineering in a variety of host microbes (e.g., bacteria, yeast, and microalgae) using a variety of advanced approaches.
· Developing and optimizing high-throughput protocols for DNA assemblies, strain engineering, and NGS library preparation.
· Apply a broad range of analytical methods including PCR, electrophoresis, Next-Gen sequencing, absorbance and fluorescence spectroscopy, and other plate-based assays to QC and test engineered strains.
· Assimilate data, present results and progress to the project team.
· Independent problem solving, basic laboratory upkeep activities including media prep and equipment maintenance as needed.
Protocols and Equipment:
· Experience with techniques in molecular biology: PCR, DNA cloning and assembly.
· Experience handling and engineering eukaryotic and/or prokaryotic microbes (e.g. yeast, bacteria and/or microalgae).
· Familiarity with utilizing advanced technologies to engineer genomes is preferred.
· Hands-on experience troubleshooting in the lab.
· Experience with high-throughput screening protocols (cell based and molecular assays).
· Familiarity with flow cytometry (e.g. FACS) is a plus.
· Familiarity with Genomics and/or Next-Gen sequencing is a plus.
Operations and Data Analysis:
· Experience writing, optimizing, and following complicated SOPs.
· Capability to manage multiple ongoing multi-day workflows, including preparing reagents and materials, and managing implementation.
· Familiarity with concepts in statistics and tools to analyze data such as python,R, Excel, JMP, Graphpad.
· Previous experience in the field of synthetic biology is a plus.
Teamwork and Personality Attributes:
· Innate enthusiasm to contribute and perform in a high-energy early startup environment.
· Must be committed to fostering an effective team environment, communicating, and working with others across departments and disciplines.
· Must be able to demonstrate initiative, attention to detail, and providing/adapting to feedback.
· Strong interest in improving and optimizing workflows while continuing to deliver on project milestones.
Our facilities are located in the Phoenix AZ area (Gilbert, Arizona).
The career level of this role will be based on candidate’s skills and qualifications.
Heliae is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
578 E Germann RdGilbert, AZ
Get fresh Research Associate jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.