This is a full-time job with benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k, paid days off and paid holidays
HealthFirstBluegrass Inc., a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC), provides a myriad of high-quality culturally and linguistically appropriate services to diverse and low-income populations throughout Lexington KY. We provide medical, dental, pharmaceutical, mental health, integrated health services, family and social services, and health education for all age groups. We are committed to ensuring the human right of accessible primary medical care through advocacy and community empowerment. We are currently seeking a bilingual, Medical Assistant, Certified (CMA, MA-C) for our Adult Health clinic. This position will be located in the Pediatrics Clinic at our Southland Drive Clinic.
Under the direction of a Physician or mid-level provider, the primary responsibilities are to assist Physicians and Nurse Practitioners with evaluation, management, and treatment of patients during office visits and other tasks related to the visit consistent with his/her training and skills. The primary role is to assure efficient patient flow through the clinic; to maintain neat, clean and safe patient care areas and to promote patient satisfaction by interacting with patients in a professional, friendly manner consistent with their needs. This position performs clinical, laboratory and administrative support services of moderate complexity to organization’s clinical operations. If bi-lingual required, incumbent must be able to communicate effectively in a defined non-English language with staff and patients/clients as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assure efficient patient flow through clinic by complying with established workflows
· Perform clinical support functions that include, but are not limited to, the following:
o Greet patient in waiting room and escorts to exam room
o Take and record the patient’s temperature, pulse, respiratory rate, blood pressure, weight, height and other measurements
o Perform vision, hearing and other screening tests
o Assist patients in undressing for examinations
o Prepare patient for examination and assist with exam as needed
o Chaperone providers
o Assist in lifting and positioning patients for examinations and treatments
o Administer treatments, injections and medications as directed by provider
o Counsel on safety, nutrition, development, and other according to protocol
· Document all patient encounters in the electronic medical record in an accurate and complete manner at the time of the patient visit
o Document all allergies, including medication and environmental allergies
o Document past medical, past surgical, social, and family histories, and updates these as needed
o Document reason for visit
o Review and update immunization records
o Review and update the medication list
o Complete risk assessments as needed
o Document vital signs and growth parameters
o Document any in-house lab tests completed
o Other documentation as needed
· Assure rooms are properly stocked with needed supplies
· Clean and prepare exam rooms appropriately per office protocol
· Respond to patient/provider needs to expedite visits and keep on schedule
· Assist patients through check-out process when visit is complete, including scheduling appointments
· Perform and document clinic laboratory services such as drawing and labeling laboratory specimens, conduct CLIA waived lab tests according to protocol, sterilize instruments, maintain lab logs; communicate with reference labs and other providers, calibrate and perform preventive maintenance on laboratory equipment and instruments that have low operator variability, and perform quality control procedures for select tests and instruments
· Perform phlebotomy services
· Process referrals generated by provider
· Perform designated tasks related to tracking test results
· Serve as a communication liaison between provider and patient with directives from provider
· Perform clinic administrative support services such as answer telephone, provide information, take messages, greet public, schedule appointments, make and maintain clinic appointments, internal and external; requisition, control and monitor inventory levels of supplies and materials, and maintain files and records
· Participate in Team Huddles
· Provide training as assigned for incoming Medical Assistants
- Referral Management
JOB REQUIREMENTS and QUALIFICATIONS
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school graduation or GED and graduated from an accredited medical assistant program.
One year of full time medical assisting experience required. Up to three years of experience preferred.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
This position requires effective oral and written communication skills (bilingual, English/Spanish required, skills proficiency), knowledge of out-patient clinical operations, knowledge and application of universal precautions, excellent interpersonal skills, and basic computer literacy.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certification from one of the following programs, that are accredited by The National Commission for Certifying Agencies, part of the Institute for Credentialing Excellence:
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) from the American Association of Medical Assistants (preferred )
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) from American Medical Technologists
- National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) from the National Center for Competency Testing
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) from the National Healthcareer Association
Certificaton or registration from other programs will be considered on a case by case basis and will require the approval of the hiring supervisor, the Medical Director, and Human Resources Director.
Certification must be maintained, and training required for maintaining certification must be obtained.
Current CPR required and must be maintained throughout the duration of this position.