This is a full-time job with benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k, paid days off and paid holidays
HealthFirstBluegrass Inc., a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC), provides a myriad of high-quality culturally and linguistically appropriate services to diverse and low-income populations throughout Lexington KY. We provide medical, dental, pharmaceutical, mental health, integrated health services, family and social services, and health education for all age groups. We are committed to ensuring the human right of accessible primary medical care through advocacy and community empowerment. We are currently seeking a Medical Assistant, Certified (CMA, MA-C). This position will be located in the Behavioral Health Clinic at our Southland Drive location.
The Medical Assistant is responsible for providing support services to the primary care and behavioral health teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administrative Support services:
- Provide assistance to the behavioral health and medical staff throughout the HealthFirst Bluegrass network of services
- Assist in completing prior authorizations for behavioral health procedure or medication claims
- Obtain patient vitals at provider request
- Maintains and distributes forms and scales as needed (e.g. PHQ-9, etc)
- Obtain KASPER report prior to appointments
- Documents as appropriate in the medical record
- Review medical record documents to determine appropriate indexing (scanning, etc)
- Participates in departmental meetings
- Facilitate communication to, from, and within the behavioral health team
- Lab and referral tracking and follow-up
- Assist provider teams in scheduling appointments, and ensuring provider capacity is met
- Phone calls and patient support services
- Work closely with the call center to ensure messages are routed to the appropriate providers and information returned to patients timely
- Answer calls with standardized greeting
- Assist and/or route general requests for assistance from current and prospective patients and community partners
- Take messages for behavioral health providers, and ensure completion of messages
- Documents phone notes in the medical record
- Greet the public and direct them to office locations for service or assistance
- Provide coverage of clerk duties in absence of clerk
- Assist patients or other facilities with requests for records
- Assist patients with behavioral health billing questions
- Assists in referrals within and external to HealthFIRST Bluegrass, Inc.
- Assist in quality improvement activities, as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned
EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEE
· Provide superior customer service, treating every person he/she comes in contact with respect and courtesy
· Adhere to HIPAA regulations and respect patient confidentiality
- Adhere to Attendance and Leave Policies and Procedures and demonstrates flexibility in work hours to meet operational requirements
· Communicate regularly with supervisor about business unit issues
· Act as a role model within and outside HealthFIRST Bluegrass Inc.
· Perform duties as workload necessitates
· Maintain a positive and respectful attitude
· Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
· Demonstrate awareness and understanding of the various internal and external cultures that utilize department services
· Consistently report to work on time prepared to perform duties of position
· Meet HealthFIRST Bluegrass Inc. quality standards
· Maintain appropriate customer relations
JOB REQUIREMENTS and QUALIFICATIONS
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
· High school graduation or GED and graduated from an accredited medical assistant program.
· One year of full-time medical assisting experience required. Up to three years of experience preferred.
· Behavioral health experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certification from one of the following programs, that are accredited by The National Commission for Certifying Agencies, part of the Institute for Credentialing Excellence:
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) from the American Association of Medical Assistants (preferred)
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) from American Medical Technologists
- National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) from the National Center for Competency Testing
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) from the National Healthcareer Association
Certification or registration from other programs will be considered on a case by case basis and will require the approval of the hiring supervisor, the Medical Director, and Human Resources Director.
Certification must be maintained, and training required for maintaining certification must be obtained.
Current CPR required and must be maintained throughout the duration of this position.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
- The candidate must be highly organized with the ability to implement systems and follow-up processes, able to anticipate and respond to the needs of the behavioral health team, able to effectively work under pressure, and produce a quality work product within tight time constraints.
- This position requires effective oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and intermediate computer literacy. Also, the incumbent must have the ability to:
- Operate a computer
- Understanding of the Windows environment
- Understanding of Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office - Word, Access, PowerPoint and Excel
- Understanding and ability to retain and use Usernames and Passwords on a daily basis
- Basic computer troubleshooting including checking cable network and power connections
- Have knowledge of Physician office practice operations
- Operate basic office equipment such as keyboard, scanners, copier, and printers
- Communicate in a positive and effective manner with the public and project a positive image of HealthFirst Bluegrass, Inc.
- Communicate in a positive and effective manner with supervisors and co-workers to accomplish agency objectives and goals
- Must be able to handle and protect confidential and sensitive data with integrity.
- Gain knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 coding systems
- Gain knowledge of billing and or collections from various 3rd party payers
- If bi-lingual, incumbent must be able to communicate effectively in a defined non-English language with patients/clients as needed
- Comprehensive knowledge of appropriate community activities, agencies, and services.
- Ensure accurate preparation of professional, technical and administrative reports and to effectively communicate these reports to internal and external groups as needed.
- Interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to partner with other staff and organizations to achieve goals.
Bilingual preferred; Must possess the ability to read and comprehend technical procedures, or governmental regulations. If bi-lingual, incumbent must effectively present information in English and a defined non-English language(s) and respond to questions from English and non-English speaking clients, customers, and the general public as needed.
Must be able to effectively respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.