This is a full-time position with benefits including health, dental, vision, 401K, paid holidays and paid days off.
HealthFirst Bluegrass Inc., a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC), provides a myriad of high-quality culturally and linguistically appropriate services to diverse and low-income populations throughout Lexington KY. We provide medical, dental, pharmaceutical, mental health, integrated health services, family and social services, and health education for all age groups. We are committed to ensuring the human right of accessible primary medical care through advocacy and community empowerment. We are currently a Community Health Worker to join our staff of dedicated health care professionals and providers. This position is responsible for managing an assigned caseload and for assessing needs, developing, implementing and reviewing service plans, and working with other community resources in meeting/achieving needs. Instruct individuals and families in the community about health education and disease prevention utilizing a team based model. This position will be located at our Good Clinic.
The Community Health Worker (CHW) is a member of the primary care team available to serve patients of all ages throughout the HealthFirst Bluegrass continuum of care and Health Care for the Homeless Programs. The CHW is responsible for assisting patients in reducing barriers related to social determinants of health. This is achieved through referral to as well as navigation of available local resources. The CHW acts as an extension of the primary care team as they advocate, support, and provide education in patient dwelling settings, homes and community. The Community Health Worker reports to Program Director and receives practice supervision and support through the Community Health Worker Lead.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Acts as a liaison between HealthFirst Bluegrass, emergency shelters, other organizations and entities on behalf of patients and their needs.
- Educates the community on various medical and homeless outreach programs and the importance of utilizing the programs.
- Helps to coordinate care with other health care providers and community partners, monitors stability and independent living.
- Visits patient where they are; collateral contact homes, homeless shelters, streets, encampments, community partner organizations, to determine patient and family needs and develop plan to meet needs.
- Educates and encourages the patient to establish a healthcare home and promote engagement with their healthcare team to work toward better health.
- Engages the patient with developing and modifying self-management goals.
- Educates and engage the patient to comply with preventive care and establish treatment plan for chronic disease.
- Advocates for the patient with special needs and significant barriers.
- Helps patient obtain necessary resources.
- Assists community members and health field personnel to assess, plan for, and provide needed health and related services.
- Refers patients with social and emotional problems to other community agencies for assistance.
- Documents patient cases including assessment and patient's consent to obtain assistance.
- Documents findings to track trends and changes in the health of the community.
- Occasional patient transportation to healthcare appointments may be necessary when other options are not available.
- Maintains a supportive and active role and relationship with the care team involved in the patients’ care.
- Participates in Quality Improvement (QI), Quality Assurance (QA) and Continuous Quality Improvement Activities (CQI) as appropriate.
- Participates in supervision meetings and team meetings as designated by supervisor.
- Participates in interagency and community partner meetings as designated by supervisor.
- Assists with coordination of program specific outreach activities for staff.
- Must comply with HIPAA, HITECH, and Part II regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS and QUALIFICATIONS
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree in health/social service-related field, 1-2 years of previous experience in linking consumers with various community resources preferred.
· Verified good driving record and reliable transportation
Bilingual preferred; Must possess the ability to read and comprehend technical procedures, or governmental regulations. If bi-lingual, incumbent must effectively present information in English and a defined non-English language(s) and respond to questions from English and non-English speaking clients, customers, and the general public as needed.
Must be able to effectively respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Incumbent must possess the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Incumbent must possess the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Incumbent must present original documentation of completed education and degrees.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to stand, walk, drive, sit and talk or hear. The incumbent frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The incumbent is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb or balance. The incumbent must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is often expected to provide services in patient homes and throughout the community. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, however this could change due to location of service.
HealthFirst Bluegrass Inc. is also recognized by the National Committee on Quality Assurance as a Patient Centered Medical Home. This recognition was achieved by demonstrating that systems and processes are in place to meet nationally recognized standards for delivering high quality care and demonstrating a commitment to improving patient access, patient experience, and continuous quality improvement.
HealthFirst Bluegrass Inc. is committed to the maintaining a work environment that is "employee friendly" to assure the organization's ability to recruit and maintain excellent employees. Currently, the organization offers competitive salaries for positions as well as a very good benefit package.
For more information about HealthFirst Bluegrass Inc. please visit www.healthfirstlex.com.
HealthFirst Bluegrass is an Equal Opportunity Employer.