Manages the delivery of nursing services and safe patient care within the assigned department and across the continuum of care. Manages the delivery of services that add value and are integrated with nursing standards of practice, service priorities and performance/outcome measures, as well as with strategic, business, and organizational goals/objectives.
· Manages on a 24-hour basis the delivery of nursing services and safe patient care which meet or exceed the cost, quality, and clinical and utilization standards and performance measures.
· Establishes, implements, and maintains patient care and service standards to meet members' and internal clients' expectations and needs in a changing, competitive health care market. Holds staff accountable in providing the highest quality of care while in compliance with the Nursing Practice Act, TJC, federal, state, and local requirements.
· Works with Nursing Leadership to develop strategic/business plans to achieve integrated services across the continuum of care. Manages and ensures continuous improvement of all clinical practices, services, and operations by designing and implementing systems, processes and methods to evaluate and improve patient care within the assigned department and across the continuum of care.
· Develops and monitors the department's budgets for the appropriate use of human and material resources.
· Monitors financial performance and identifies and implements strategies to reduce costs and improve the quality of care/service.
· Determines the appropriate staff mix for department and develops processes to screen, interview, hire, train, and maintain the competency of all department staff. Ensures ongoing staff development.
· Develops, implements, and monitors departmental policy and procedures which support the organization's goals and business objectives and ensures they are met. Develops standards of care and standards of practice, directs fiscal management, and quality improvement activities.
· Manages and resolves human resource and risk management issues.
· Accountable to promote an organizational culture of safety. Ensures appropriate patient, employee, and department safety standards and guidelines are implemented consistently in the delivery of health care and adhere to administrative, legal and regulatory requirements of governmental and regulatory agencies.
· Participates in leadership committees and forums on a Medical Center, Regional level, and/or National level.
· Minimum five (5) years of clinical nursing experience relevant to a given position/department required, including three (3) years of management, supervisory, or leadership* experience.
· Academic degree in nursing required (Bachelor's or Masters' degree).
· Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
· BSN and National Health/Nursing Administration Certification or MSN is required for Pediatric and NICU Departments for facilities that are CCS certified or desire CCS certification. This requirement applies to Downey, LAMC, San Diego, Fontana, and Orange County.
License, Certification, Registration
· Current RN license required; California RN license required by date of hire.
· BLS certificate required.
· * Leadership Experience will be permissible for Kaiser Permanente internal applicants only and is defined by the following criteria: Demonstrated clinical nursing leadership as a Charge/Senior RN, participation on professional committees inclusive of UBTs, National Certification in Specialty, demonstrated completion of RN Leadership Development Program and/or demonstrated experiential exposure to Nursing Leadership.
· Knowledge of Nurse Practice Act, TJC, and other local, state, federal regulations.
· Demonstrated interpersonal and management skills.
· Consistently demonstrates the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to customers, contracted providers, and vendors.
· Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
· Master's degree.
· National Certification in the specialty.
· Previous experience with the electronic medical record.
· Must meet CCS requirement for NICU as a Community NICU standards.