The Medical Assistant (MA) performs nursing procedures and patient registration tasks and procedures. The Medical Assistant reports to the Back Office Supervisor, whichever is appropriate to the designated site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates effective communication and problem- skills.
- Works within a team care environment to provide excellent patient care services within the scope of practice as established by the Medical Board of California.
- Coordinates duties with Back Office Supervisor (BOS) and from licensed providers, RNs, LVNs, Director of Nursing (DON), Director of Operations (DOO), Quality Improvement/Assurance staff, Company trainers, and Senior Leadership.
- Pre-visit planning in collaboration with the patient
- Creating opportunities for patient access
- Communicating effectively with care team throughout the day
- Maintaining efficient patient care flow throughout the day
- Providing continuity of care for the patient within the care team for that day
- Collect and record patient data for vital signs, height, weight, and basic medical history
- Medication and vaccine administration
- Specimen collection and in-house diagnostic tests
- Uncomplicated wound care and suture removal
- Non-invasive treatments (e.g. ear lavage)
- Removal of splints and orthotics
- Application of prefabricated orthopedic appliances
- Assisting in ambulation and transfers
- Patient preparation for procedures and assisting provider in such
- Provide patient instructions and education upon authorization of the provider
- Emergency first aid and CPR
- Nail cutting in healthy patients
- Fit prescription lenses or use any optical device in connection with ocular exercises, visual training, vision training, or orthoptics
- Records performance of authorized patient treatment and care in the medical record, consistent with Company protocols
- Participates in staff education and training activities in collaboration with the back-office training staff. Maintains required competencies as established.
- Assists in facility management including keeping patient areas clean and safe
- Assists in responding to and resolving patient complaints as needed.
- Proactively assumes responsibility for continuous improvement activities and is receptive to accepting other job duties as assigned and as delegated.
- KNOWLEDGE OF: Basic MA and back-office procedures and medical terminology.
- SKILLS: Basic computer skills and data entry skills; excellent communication skills.
- ABILITY TO: Handle multiple priorities, build positive relationships, maintain a positive attitude and a warm and friendly demeanor; efficiently work in a team environment; travel as required for assigned site(s) and designated meetings/training.
- High School Diploma and Medical Assisting certificate from an accredited program Required
- Current American Heart Association BLS CPR certification
- Bilingual English/Spanish required