Isolation and Quarantine Registered Nurse
I&Q programs serve as temporary housing for San Francisco residents who cannot otherwise isolate or quarantine due to COVID-19 diagnosis or exposure. The I&Q programs will operate 24-hour/7 days-a-week as a welcoming, compassionate, trauma-informed, culturally attuned, and user-responsive space. Alongside managing COVID-19 care and prevention, the focus is on utilizing the principles of harm reduction to serve people at increased risk of COVID-19 health complications, psychiatric crisis, substance related harms, trauma, homelessness, and death due to overdose.
The programs treat all participants with compassion, dignity, and respect, regardless of their medical, psychiatric, housing, or substance use status and needs. I&Q sites are staffed with a multi-disciplinary team including health workers, nurses, medical providers, safety monitors, custodians, and drivers. Priority will be given to participant monitoring, treatment, and safety, and all staff will be trained in overdose recognition and response. The 24/7 programs include laundry, housekeeping, and meal services. Translation services are used if language-concordant staff are not available. For patients who use drugs and alcohol, medication assisted therapy (MAT) consultation and access to harm reduction services and supplies are made available.
It is the responsibility of the Isolation and Quarantine Nurse (I+Q RN) to act as a clinical leader by providing key nursing support to clients in the Isolation and Quarantine Hotel. Clients in the I+Q Hotel are under investigation for COVID-19 (People Under Investigation – PUI) or have been diagnosed with COVID-19. They are a critical member of the Health Care Team, providing monitoring and urgent clinical support to clients. They will work directly with the I+Q Provider to provide medical care for I+Q clients. They will act as a liaison and coordinate care for clients not only with the I+Q team but also with any outside referrals needed. May be required to work evenings and weekends.
Clinical Care Responsibilities:
- Provides nursing care, within the scope of license, to PUI or COVID-19 diagnosed clients.
- Works collaboratively with I+Q team to support clients during their stay at the hotel as well as coordinating care for follow up upon discharge.
- Has and maintains licensure, and BCLS/CPR certification.
- Provides timely care coordination and management for PUI and COVID-19 clients (e.g., hospital transfer care coordination, procedure coordination) in conjunction with the I+Q teams and PCP.
- Provides client education regarding COVID-19.
- Provides clinical leadership to support staff, including medical assistants, and I+Q support staff.
- Participates in training I+Q staff regarding COVID-19 and updates in care.
- Participates as an active member of the Care Support Team through case-conferencing and other collaborative work.
- Demonstrates comfort in changing systems, champions change, and leads change processes.
- Keeps up to date with operational and procedural requirements.
- Supports the interpretation of standards and processes to meet best practice standards established in the health services program.
- Adheres to company dress code and maintains professional appearance.
- Completes mandatory trainings within deadlines.
Education and Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Education and Experience Required:
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
- Possession of a valid California license as a registered nurse.
- Possession of BCLS/CPR certification.
- Experience working with COVID-19 clients.
- Two years of direct patient care experience; one year in ambulatory care and/or a community health center.
- Experience working with populations with varying lifestyles, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, ethnic and culture backgrounds and economic status.
- Experience working successfully with issues of substance abuse, mental health, and chronic medical illness
- Bi-lingual in Spanish.
Health Right 360
Why Work Here?
Together, we're making a difference!