Job Title: Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) - Lead Position - Nights (8 hour shifts)
Performs various routine and complex clinical laboratory tests according to established policies and procedures in order to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Assess test results for accuracy. Performs routine scheduled preventative maintenance, calibration, and minor problem troubleshooting on laboratory instruments. May perform blood specimen collection, training personnel and students. Independent judgment and professional education and certification are required.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Performs routine and special procedures used to provide information for use in the diagnosis, prevention, or treatment of disease or assessment of a medical condition. Verifies accuracy in patient information and specimen acceptability. Testing performance and assessment includes the pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic phases of such examinations. Analyzes test results for accuracy.
- Performs and documents required quality control and calibration procedures, evaluating any abnormalities pursuing resolution under direction of manager, supervisor, lead, and pathologist.
- Performs minor procedural and instrument maintenance/troubleshooting.
- May collect patient specimens from all patient age groups.
- Notifies appropriate person (i.e. manager, supervisor, lead, risk manager, shift supervisor) of problems, equipment/product defects, and important information encountered in dealing with physicians, patients, visitors, or other department personnel.
- Responsible for reading and understanding Lab policies, compliance with regulatory agency requirements, and procedures be familiar with overall hospital regulations.
- Maintains safe work environment. Complies with the Exposure Control Plan as well as the guidelines for infection control and Employee Health Services.
- Participates in the Quality Improvement Program under the direction of the manager, supervisor, lead, and pathologist.
- Assist in the training of new employees and may assist in training of students.
- May assist in evaluation and implementation of new lab equipment and performance characteristics of new procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Clinical/Medical Laboratory Science.
- Successful completion of the ASCP or AMT Board of Certification CLS exam within the first year of employment is also required. Alternative bachelor’s degrees are acceptable with successful completion of ASCP or AMT CLS certification exam prior to employment.
- Maintains current certification according to guidelines established by appropriate certifying agency.
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to interact effectively and communicate with patients and other health care professionals. High level of professionalism and skillful performance in stressful situations.
- Must possess sufficient academic, technical, and clinical skills and knowledge to evaluate, troubleshoot, research, and resolve day-to-day problems that arise or special projects as assigned by the laboratory management.
- Must have Microbiology experience; must be ready to work at the bench, assist with training, give feedback for evaluations, etc.
- 1-2 years experience as a MT - highly preferred.
- Competitive hourly pay rate.
- $5,000 Sign-On Bonus