Job Title: Director of Real Estate
Reports to: Senior Director of Real Estate and Facilities Management
Status: Full Time, 40 hours a week, exempt
Heading Home’s mission is to end homelessness in Greater Boston by providing a supported pathway to self-sufficiency that begins with a home, together with critical services such as life skills, including financial literacy, and job training. We provide emergency, transitional and permanent housing, and support services, to low-income homeless and formerly homeless families and individuals. As our name reflects, a home provides the optimal foundation to get back on track; our programs focus heavily on getting people permanently housed as quickly as possible
The Director of Real Estate will oversee all property owned and leased by Heading Home, which includes 10 owned buildings and 4 master-leased buildings, and several hundred leased scattered-site apartments. This person will also manage any maintenance required for the Heading Home offices. Responsibilities include upkeep of owned properties; management of the Maintenance Team; and oversight of landlord relationships, unit acquisition, and occupancy. The position involves considerable interface with both individual and family programs to ensure that properties meet program needs and are maintained appropriately. This is a strategic position requiring a resourceful leader who can design, implement, and refine organizational systems and processes and can work effectively across departments and with outside partners and vendors.
- Implement and oversee accounting property management best practices
- Implement a formal month end review of open items
- Oversee day to day management of agency's physical assets.
- Supervise day to day operations of the Real Estate team including the Maintenance team, property management staff and departmental administrative support
- Oversee with team the conducting if the initial, annual, and special inspections of units according to Housing Quality Standard (HQS) and Rent Reasonableness guidelines as required by HUD.
- Respond to property-related emergencies as needed. It is expected that off-hours emergencies would be rare and the majority would be handled by phone.
- Oversee relationships between Heading Home staff, landlords, and the Maintenance team.
- Ensure timely lease renewal of all units. Track lease dates and follow through on all aspects of the renewals
- Obtain new units to satisfy current unit needs and projected growth
- Foster and maintain existing and new relationships with private landlords
- Oversee and request timely requests for rental increases
- Collaborate with program staff to nurture relationships with landlords, follow-up on property management issues and landlord concerns, and mobilize the Maintenance team and outside vendors when appropriate.
- Work with program staff to promote housing stability and payment of client charges wherever possible.
- Collaborate with Development staff to obtain funding for capital and other real-estate-related expenditures.
- Facilitate weekly or bi-weekly meetings with each department including the drafting of agendas and minutes.
Key performance indicator
- Ensure quality of and compliance with systems for tracking and implementing leasing and lease renewal, unit turnover, timely occupancy, insurance claims, rent invoicing to Finance, and client payments.
- Track and report regularly on unit acquisition, unit turnover, apartment readiness, occupancy, and maintenance issues.
- Monitor and track KPI’s such as: work order completion rate per day, week, month and quarter, time per work order, offline unit turn rate and cost
In conjunction with Senior Director create and oversee training for Real Estate and Facilities staff along with other heading home departments
- Eight-plus years’ experience in property management, including leasing and facilities maintenance.
- BA or equivalent experience
- A valid Mass driver’s license in good standing and access to a vehicle.
- Five years’ supervisory experience
- Knowledge of government-funded housing programs and their requirements
- Project Management
- Managing a multi-city portfolio
- Experience with capital needs improvement ranging from $1,000-$100,000
- Experience in human services setting, particularly with homeless and formerly homeless populations
- Experience with AppFolio, Yardi, Netsuite or any property management web based platform
- Strong planning and organizational skills, and ability to work well with managers, peers, direct reports and internal and external partners
- Creative systems designer and implementer
- Highly proficient computer skills
- Reactive and diplomatic communicator
- Solution focused
- Excellent strategic thinker