This position is responsible to lead all support operations of Hawaiian Telcom's MPLS and IP Access-based networks. The Lead Engineer Access / MPLS is expected to lead all support of various IP based products such as xDSL, IPVPN, VoIP, FTTP, and IPTV. This position will be responsible for all MPLS and Access design and architecture acceptance and deployment into the production network to include interoperability and regression testing. The Lead Engineer will lead and participate in a variety of projects to support network enhancements and operational deployment of new products and access methods including providing design and architecture recommendations on MPLS/Access network-based solutions. The Lead Engineer will work in a team environment to support customer CARE, NOC, Field/Central Office Sales, Planning, Engineering, and Development organizations as well as providing a lead role in the promotion and development of organizational knowledge within this domain space. This job will also have oversight of alarm correlation, surveillance, and reliability of various network elements. The Lead Engineer will be required to take a lead role in outage restoration, escalated trouble, network upgrades, and vendor-specific trouble tickets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide Tier 2 leadership on trouble tickets requiring escalation to the vendor, detailed analysis, or in-depth trouble analysis.
- Respond to after-hours call-outs for network outages and escalated customer trouble on a 24x7 basis.
- Perform release management, software upgrades, hardware support, and configuration.
Analyze outage/alarm reports, trouble history, and performance reports; recommend proactive measures to prevent/minimize repeat occurrences, and follow-through on recommendations.
- Develop troubleshooting, performance, and alarming tools. Work with various support teams to develop preventive maintenance techniques/routines and lower restorable times.
- Conduct maintenance, backups, patching, and upgrading of network elements.
Provide technical expertise and consultation on troubleshooting/provisioning processes, EMS, custom technical design/configuration, and/or technical product development.
- Create/Enhance documentation including network diagrams, work instructions and process enhancements for support, provisioning & alarming of network elements and support services
- Lead and/or participate on project teams to drive network transformation.
- Perform design review and acceptance for any production-ready deployments
- Perform network interoperability and regression testing
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science; or three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Cisco CCNA or CCNP required. CCIE preferred
Professional Work Experience:
- Must have at least four (4) years of direct work experience with any of the following:
- Alcatel 7x50 and/or 73x0 training/experience and/or certifications preferred
- Adtran TA5000/TA3000 training/experience preferred
- Transport (SONET, Ethernet, Frame Relay, ATM, and/or MPLS) training/experience preferred
- Access (FTTx, xDSL, and/or Metro-Ethernet) training/experience preferred
- Scripting and/or programming (Unix shell, TCL, Expect or Perl) skills preferred
- Specialist or Analyst level work experience in IP Services desired to reflect skills in troubleshooting and problem resolution
- Four (4) years' experience in an analytical, report development, use of alarming tools, and/or system maintenance desired.
- Working knowledge of various automated system functionality including but not limited to dispatching, trouble isolation & administration, provisioning, facility records, outside & inside plant records, customer records, and billing.
- Experience in developing process improvement plans, execution of the plans, and measuring results for the desired outcome.
- Experience enforcing corporate policies.
Computer / Technical Skills:
- Microsoft Office Suite: working experience with the use of all applications from the Microsoft Office Suite to create reports, analyze data, and present information.
- Ability to learn new products and applications as required
- Working knowledge of various automated system functionality including but not limited to dispatching, manpower management, time & task reporting, trouble isolation & administration, provisioning, facility records, outside & inside plant records, customer records, and billing
- Working knowledge of outside plant safety practices and procedures
- Working knowledge and experience with WAN/LAN switching, routing, transport, access networks, CPE networking, and EMS applications required
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Must possess a valid Hawaii State Driver's License.
- Able to qualify for D. O. D. security clearance.
- Daytime tour of duty; occasional scheduled night and weekend work.
- Subject to overtime and callout.
- Work may be performed in an enclosed area lacking windows
- Able to operate analytical test equipment such as data analyzers, etc.
- May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
- Indoor work - exposed to indoor conditions, dust, noise, dirt, heat, various lighting conditions, etc
- Ability to manage multiple functions and tasks in a very fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to adjust quickly to many moving facets of the job.
- Ability to make quick situational assessments and react accordingly.
- Requires leveraging leadership and a variety of technical skills to work across internal groups as well as with vendors and industry partners to support service offerings and infrastructure capabilities.
- Requires alignment with the Company's F.A.S.T. Values
- Fierce Resolve -- be Focused, Determined, Overcome the toughest challenges
- Aloha Spirit -- Heartfelt, Kind, Serve with warmth and humility
- Superior Service -- Exceptional, Extraordinary, Strive to provide the very best
- Trustworthy -- Honest, Reliable, Make promises a reality
- Requires alertness and attention to detail
- Work may be performed a various locations under varying conditions.
- Requires standing, sitting, lifting/carrying supplies and training materials up to 40 lbs, and reading paper documentation and electronic communications.
- May require traveling to various locations and company branches and departments throughout the State of Hawaii in a timely manner so must possess a valid Hawaii State Driver's License.
- May require sitting and/or standing for long periods of time.
- May require identifying and distinguishing colors.
- May require working in confined and dark areas for long periods of time.
- May require identifying and distinguish audible tones/levels and colors.
- Required to meet multiple priorities and project due dates. May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
Hawaiian Telcom, the premier telecommunications company headquartered in Honolulu, offers Hawaii's consumers and businesses a spectrum of telecommunication solutions, taking full advantage of proven and emerging technologies.
We are focused on building and maintaining a diverse team of employees who are committed to delivering an outstanding customer experience. We call the communities we serve home and giving back to these communities is an important part of our culture.
Hawaiian Telcom offers an amazing Mālama Hours Program, Employee Resource Groups, and organized corporate community service events that further strengthen our community relationships.