Veterinary Services Assistant I (VSA1)
JOB/POSITION TITLE: Veterinary Services Assistant I (VSAI)
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Provides assistance to Veterinary Services team members who perform assessment and healthcare of all animals, technical support for sterilization surgeries, medical treatment and humane euthanasia.
Reports To: Veterinary Services Manager
Supervises: Volunteers as needed
- Veterinary Services Team Assistance. Assists Veterinary Staff with daily health and behavioral examinations. Assists Veterinary Staff in performing anesthesia, surgical preparation and monitoring of animals according to standard operating procedures. Assists Veterinary Staff in performing humane euthanasia of animals.
- Medical/Clinic Support. Prepares and administers medications including proper logging of activity. Cleans, disinfects and organizes surgery suite daily.
- Animal Care and Treatment. Treats all animals humanely and with compassion. Standard bathing, medically prescribed bathing treatments and basic grooming for animals as needed.
- Operations Support. Feed, water, and monitor condition of all animals as needed. Clean and disinfect animal enclosures and supplies. Regularly participates in department meetings to share ideas and suggestions.
- Other Duties as Assigned. Ensures a positive public image and to enhance the operation of the organization and improve the quality of life for animals. May include organization-wide support as needed such as but not limited to participation in events, serving as spokesperson, fundraising, covering other operational departments, and Hawaiian Humane's role as a first responder to disasters.
- Working Conditions: Outdoors in all types of weather; indoors under regular kennel and office conditions.
- Equipment Use: Leash/rope, water hose with spray gun, commercial cleaning fluid, computer, phone system, veterinary drugs, instruments and equipment, copier, and calculator.
- Work Hours: Based on operational requirements. Must be available full-time with flexibility for weekends and holidays.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION DEMANDS:
- Must have passion and concern for both animals and people.
- Must agree with and be committed to Hawaiian Humane goals, objectives, and programs.
- Requires lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Requires comfort in handling, transporting, restraining or administering veterinary treatment to a live animal.
- Requires excellent customer service and people care skills.
- Skills/Knowledge: General handling and familiarity with various animal species, behaviors and physical needs
- Education/Training: High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience: One year working in a clinical or animal shelter environment preferred.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Hawaiian Humane SocietyHonolulu, HI
AnimalView All Hawaiian Humane Society Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.