Relief Veterinarian - Part Time Casual
- $70 Hourly
Position Title: Relief Veterinarian
Status: Non Exempt, Part Time Casual
Position Overview: We are seeking a highly skilled and passionate veterinarian to support the medical and surgical needs of our shelter animals and provide HQHV Spay/Neuter surgeries on public pets and community cats. This position offers a unique opportunity to make a substantial impact on the lives of animals and people in our community.
Reports To: Chief Veterinarian
Providing Medical and Surgical Care
- Direct and Perform comprehensive medical services to all animals in shelter and foster care, including physical examinations, diagnostics, medications, and treatments
- Perform surgeries on shelter animals, including spay/neuter surgeries, wound repairs, entropions, enucleations, mass removals, cystotomies, amputations, and more
- Perform dental procedures on shelter animals, including cleanings and extractions
- Perform high-volume, high-quality, safe spay/neuter surgeries for public animals
- Provide compassionate pre- and post-operative care, monitoring patients closely to ensure their comfort and safety
- Maintain accurate medical and surgical records and contribute to the overall efficiency of the veterinary services and public spay/neuter programs
- Compassionate communication with all stakeholders (internal and external). Providing the highest level of customer care to our patrons and foster care families.
- Providing compassionate end of life decision making.
Coordinating Shelter Medical Operations
- Analyze and review medical protocols and procedures in order to ensure alignment with best practices in shelter medicine, and formulate and implement recommendations in collaboration with the Chief Veterinarian
- Continually improve the veterinary services program and ensure high-quality medical care and services for shelter and public animals, including animals in foster care. Continuous professional development on shelter medicine best practices, ASV guidelines, HQHV surgical techniques, etc.
- Focus on identification, treatment, and prevention of health concerns to support live outcomes for animals whenever possible.
- Provide direction to medical support staff as needed.
- Provide training to shelter staff and volunteers on medical topics, including but not limited to medications, vaccinations, herd health, infectious disease, and quarantines.
- Coordinates and assists with medical forensics for cruelty and neglect cases. Provides physical examinations, necropsy, treatment protocols, testimony, and documentation of animal(s) conditions to support the investigation with our field services department.
- Ensure a positive public image to enhance the operation of Hawaiian Humane Society and improve the quality of life for animals. Opportunities to support organization wide events, serving as a spokesperson, fundraising support, and disaster response.
- Work Environment: Indoors in typical shelter environment and outdoors in all types of weather. With our beautiful climate we have many open-air enclosures for our animals. Hawaiian Humane Society has 2 beautiful campuses, one located in Ewa Beach and the other in Honolulu (Moiliili area, near UH Manoa).
- Equipment Use: Veterinary medical and surgical equipment, shelter cleaning equipment, computer and telephone systems.
- Other Materials: Commercial disinfectant, gas anesthetic, controlled substances.
- Hours: Part-time casual
- DVM or VMD degree from an accredited veterinary school
- Active and unrestricted license to practice veterinary medicine in Hawaii or eligibility to obtain one
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in shelter medicine and familiarity with the ASV Guidelines for Standards of Care in Shelter Medicine.
- Understanding of local, state, and national laws regarding animal shelter agencies, veterinary medical authority in the shelter setting, infectious disease reporting requirements.
- A progressive professional philosophy that humane organizations are partners working together with common goals to reduce pet overpopulation, improve animal welfare and support shelter diversion where possible.
- Minimum 2 years' experience with high quality/high volume spay/neuter and other routine soft tissue surgeries with low complication/recheck rate
- Preferred clinical experience in a fast-paced shelter or humane organization treating health conditions common in shelter populations. Familiarity with infectious disease outbreaks and isolation/quarantine procedures.
- Self-starter who is organized, innovative, flexible, detail-oriented, able to work independently with support but also function as a team member, passionate about our mission and goals.
- Personable, communicative, collaborative, patient, professional, empathetic, mature, and effective in engaging with a culturally diverse community.
- Ability to problem-solve, prioritize appropriately, and apply best practices in shelter medicine to our patient population with guidance from the Chief Veterinarian.
- Ability to prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations, including documentation and reporting of cruelty/neglect, or legal cases.
- Passion for animal welfare and our mission to make a positive difference in the lives of shelter pets and our community
- Willingness to provide guidance and training to staff and volunteers as needed
- Ability to work at either campus.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Hawaiian Humane Society
2700 Waialae AveHonolulu, HI
Get fresh Relief Veterinarian - Part Time Casual jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.