Registered Veterinary Technician
- Posted: over a month ago
JOB/POSITION TITLE: Registered veterinary technician (RVT)
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Performs assessment and healthcare of all animals and provides technical support for veterinary services including sterilization surgeries, medical treatment and humane euthanasia.
Reports To: Veterinary Services Manager
Supervises: Volunteers as needed
- Animal Health Assessment and Care. Performs daily health and behavioral examinations. Provides vaccinations or other treatments as needed. Evaluates animals daily to be made available for adoption.
- Assist with Pre/Post Surgery Procedures and Medical Treatment. Performs anesthesia, surgical preparation, and monitoring of animals sterilized according to Hawaiian Humane procedures. Cleans, disinfects and organizes surgery suite daily as needed. Performs euthanasia of animals and accounts for usage of euthanasia solution according to Hawaiian Humane procedures and federal law.
- Statistical Entry and Monitoring. Logs daily activity into PetPoint database and prepares monthly statistical reports as directed.
- Maintains Medical/Clinic Supplies. Monitors medical supplies and ensures proper storage/usage of clinic resources and equipment.
- Customer and Animal Care. Works with individuals who have utilized Hawaiian Humane services in a timely, professional and courteous manner. Treats all animals humanely and with compassion.
- Operations Support. Feed, water, and monitor condition of all animals as needed. Clean and disinfect animal enclosures and supplies. Regularly participates in department meetings to share ideas and suggestions.
- Other Duties as Assigned. Ensures a positive public image and to enhance the operation of the organization and improve the quality of life for animals. May include organization-wide support as needed such as but not limited to participation in events, serving as spokesperson, fundraising, covering other operational departments, and Hawaiian Humane's role as a first responder to disasters.
- Work Environment: Outdoors in all types of weather; indoors under regular kennel and office conditions.
- Equipment Use: Leash/rope, water hose with spray gun, commercial cleaning fluid, computer, phone system, veterinary drugs, instruments and equipment, copier, and calculator.
- Work Hours: Based on operational requirements, 40 hours per week with overtime as needed.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION DEMANDS:
- Must have passion and concern for both animals and people.
- Must agree with and be committed to Hawaiian Humane goals, objectives, and programs.
- Requires lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Requires comfort in handling, transporting, restraining or administering veterinary treatment to a live animal.
- Requires excellent customer service and people care skills.
- Familiarity with common diseases and medical conditions affecting all types of animals preferred.
- Skills/Knowledge: General handling and familiarity with various animal species, behaviors, physical needs, common diseases, and medical conditions. General knowledge of routine veterinary needs of variety of animal species and ability to perform routine and emergency treatment. General knowledge of veterinary surgical operations, monitoring, preparation, and equipment including drugs and instruments.
- Education/Training: Must be a Registered Veterinary Technician with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
- Experience: Two years of working as a veterinary assistant or technician in a clinical or animal shelter environment preferred.
As a condition of employment, an applicant selected for hire is required to verify COVID-19 fully vaccinated status with HR prior to starting work. To be exempt from this requirement, an applicant must submit supporting documentation of exemption due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief to HR.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Hawaiian Humane Society
AnimalView all jobs at Hawaiian Humane Society
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?