Director of Operations
Hawaiian Humane Society Honolulu, HI
- Posted: over a month ago
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Responsible for the direction of the Hawaiian Humane Society's shelter operations. Create and innovate best practices, lead and collaborate on the strategic goals and together with the team develop the future state of the organization's operations. Responsible for assuring high-level customer service both internally and externally, compliance with policies and procedures, budget preparation and adherence. Assesses operational effectiveness and implements improvement enhancement measures on a regular basis.
Reports To: President/CEO
Supervises: Admissions Manager, Adoptions Manager, Animal Care Manager, Behavior Manager, Foster Manager, Facility Manager, Field Services Manager. May also oversee all Operations staff and related volunteers as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES / FUNCTIONS:
- Lead and direct Hawaiian Humane Society's operations teams to ensure the highest level of customer service is delivered to its' staff, volunteers, customers, donors, partners, and vendors. Ensuring effective and timely communication across the organization.
- Support and direct the humane treatment in handling of companion animals including monitoring the adherence to sanitation and animal treatment standard protocols.
- Maintain Moiliili Campus facility to provide a safe and sanitary environment for animals and people. This includes the adherence to and monitoring of mandated standards and regulations (e.g. OSHA, HIOSH).
- With program managers, monitor and evaluate program effectiveness across operational departments, including statistical analysis, report creation and presentation, and implement improvements. Ensuring efficient use of resources.
- With program managers, develop departmental objectives and plans and assist in the development of Hawaiian Humane initiatives and programs.
- Play a key role in development and evaluation of organization wide strategic initiatives and goals.
- Support the development of SOPs and ensure they are managed at the department level.
- Manage external vendors to provide services as needed.
- With program managers, develop and monitor departmental budgets.
- Recruit, hire, develop, coach and counsel staff members and volunteers.
- Provide mentorship, coaching, and training to operational managers and support other leadership development practices to ensure the success of the operations division.
- Participate in inter-departmental meetings and discussions to support and develop Hawaiian Humane initiatives.
- Serve as a liaison and promote the organization's mission and objectives to the community, volunteers, media, animal welfare organizations, and others.
- Responds to and/or oversees response to public complaints concerning animal problems, animal regulations, employee performance and operations procedures, etc.
- Perform euthanasia and related tasks as needed.
- Travel including overnight stays may be required.
- Working Environment: Indoors and outdoors with all types of animals. May work in an area with high noise level. Office environment.
- Equipment Use: Shelter vehicle, multi-media communications equipment including radio dispatch, telephone systems and computers with proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word, MS Power Point and shelter software databases. Use of all sheltering-related animal equipment including veterinary and field services tools.
- Other Materials: Works with controlled substances. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander, and feces.
- Hours: Hours based on operational requirements. Must be available 7 days a week.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION DEMANDS:
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently and in a team equally successfully with proven communication, collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Must be able to perform physically rigorous work and be able to occasionally lift up to 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be results-oriented and meet deadlines.
- Must have proven leadership and motivational experience, as well as customer service, and excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail.
- Must have strong analytical abilities to make cost-benefits analysis, continuous improvement recommendations.
- Ability to utilize effective problem solving/decision making skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Must be knowledgeable of federal, state and county animal laws.
- Familiarity with facilities and grounds maintenance, HIOSH/OSHA requirements, understanding of and ability to utilize fiscal management procedures, budget development and monitoring, negotiation skills, and other administrative practices.
- Must agree with and be committed to Hawaiian Humane goals, objectives, and programs.
- Must pass a criminal and driving background check with valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.
Education/Training: Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
Experience: A minimum of five years management experience required. Management experience in an animal shelter or similar organization preferable.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Hawaiian Humane Society
BusinessView all jobs at Hawaiian Humane Society