JOB DESCRIPTION: Housekeeping Manager
LOCATION: Primarily stationed at Lake Terrace Convention Center; but work requires travel to all Hattiesburg Convention Commission (HCC) facilities. These include the Hattiesburg Visitors Center, Saenger Theater, African American Military History Museum, Eureka School Museum, and the Hattiesburg Zoo. Travel may also be required to conferences and seminars.
SHIFT: Full-time; Varies - due to the irregular schedule of the Event Services industry, hours may fall in varying patterns even within the work week. Holidays and weekends are often busy times for events and the housekeeping staff must be flexible and reliable. May work long hours to meet clients’ timetable requirements.
REPORTS TO: Event Services Manager
SUMMARY: Oversees the overall planning, organizing and development of the housekeeping department. Creates weekly schedules, which meet the needs of all of our facilities, and ensures that all facilities are kept to the high standards already in place. Orders and maintains supply logs for all HCC facilities. Also performs cleaning, janitorial task and minor repairs as needed to support housekeeping staff. Provide porter service during events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Identifies, assigns and performs cleaning and janitorial tasks as required.
• Notes and reports any building components in need of repair.
• Trains other staff on equipment usage and in cleaning techniques.
• Daily inspection of all areas of responsibility.
• Schedules, oversees and reviews housekeeping staff.
• Maintains housekeeping supplies at each facility.
• Maintains a written inspection log.
• Assists other center personnel as directed.
• Carries an operational two-way radio at all times.
• Designs and maintains a written checklist on all facilities.
• Schedules and performs event housekeeping and clean-up as required.
• Assures sufficient personnel for special events.
• Insures all full and part-time employees are properly identified with a standard uniform and name tag.
• Develops and coordinates additional in-service training for all housekeeping staff.
• Such other duties, functions and special projects as assigned by the Event Services Manager. Run errands when needed; travel required.
Education and Work Experience
• Graduation from high school or accredited equivalency program.
• Two years’ experience with housekeeping of a public assembly facility or a related industry. Formal training in current housekeeping procedures and practices preferred.
• Combination of education / experience may be evaluated.
Essential Job Qualifications
• Must retain a valid Driver’s License and meet the eligibility requirements to drive while conducting company business.
• Must have transportation for required travel.
• Able to see well enough to read fine print such as labels.
• Able to speak and hear well enough to converse in person and on telephone.
• Body mobility and stamina to bend, squat, lift, reach, carry, stand and walk for long periods of time.
• Must be able to lift up to 20lbs.
• Sufficient manual dexterity to operate small tools.
• Tolerance to work under adverse conditions such as among dust, dirt, and cleaning agent odors and outdoors in heat and cold.
Knowledge and Skills
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Previous experience managing a diverse team of housekeeping employees through motivation, coaching and development.
• Ability to anticipate customer needs, change goals and multitask.
• Work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays as required.
• Must be able to perform and teach janitorial techniques and assignment. Ensuring that policies and standards of operation are being followed consistently.
• Knowledge of materials, methods and practices in using cleaning supplies and equipment.
• Knowledge of the operation and care of housekeeping equipment.