Auto req ID: 50821BR
Job Code: 329060 Facilities & Oper Manager
Location: USA - DC - Washington
Business Title: Director of Facilities
Sub-Unit: Dumbarton Oaks
Salary Grade: 060
Time Status: Full-time
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
- A minimum of 10 years' facilities/operations experience with progressive responsibility, managing teams in multiple aspects of large facilities. 6 plus years of experience in a leading role.
- BS in an Engineering or Management discipline
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE), Certified Facility Manager (CFM) highly preferred, and/or Project Management Professional Certification (PMP) an advantage.
- Facilities management experience in an academic or cultural institution preferred.
- Knowledge of CADD, energy management building systems, and LEED certification.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated intermediate level skills with Excel and MS Project.
- Proven ability to manage costs.
- Proven ability to develop strong working relationships across multiple departments and at all levels of an organization; strong communication skills; track record of developing and motivating staff.
Additional Information: Dumbarton Oaks is a research institute, museum and garden located in Washington, DC and affiliated with Harvard University. We seek a dynamic and experienced Director to lead facilities operations for a vibrant international academic community on a beautiful historic campus that receives thousands of visitors to the museum and garden every year.
The Director of Facilities oversees the operation and maintenance of 13 buildings on the 16-acre campus and other properties nearby, comprising approximately two hundred thousand gross square feet. The Facilities department, with a staff of approximately 15, is responsible for all aspects of day-to-day facilities operations including custodial and maintenance services; mechanical and electrical systems; elevators; heating and cooling; engineering and energy conservation; office furnishings and moves; security and safety operations; and the preservation and restoration of the campus property. The Director of Facilities oversees all departmental operations and project management and has ultimate responsibility for all construction and renovation projects.
Pre-Employment Screening: Credit, Criminal, DMV, Education, Identity
Job Function: Facilities
- Ensure a well-maintained, safe, secure and efficiently run physical campus supportive of the scholarly and public programs, and administrative operations. Specific areas such as the Library and Museum require sophisticated climate control.
- Provide leadership in strategic planning for long-range and preventive maintenance and service.
- Manage staff in building and event services, engineering, refectory, and mail room.
- Prepare and manage the Facilities budget, including capital budget management and operations and maintenance budget management.
- Oversee the planning, budgeting, approval process, and implementation of all construction and renovation projects, environmental health and safety for the campus, and campus sustainability initiatives.
- Oversee selection of contractors; develop contracts (in accordance with Harvard University policies as appropriate); monitor progress and authorize payments; handle close-out process.
- Utilize LEAN and Six Sigma tools for calibration, preventive and corrective maintenance programs, facilities resource planning, master planning, capital project management and CADD.
- Provide technical leadership and contact vendors and manufacturers in the resolution of technical issues.
- Initiate and maintain effective communication with other departments on space management, renovation, and other facilities-related issues; identify and implement creative solutions to challenges presented by space constraints.
- Ensure effective and timely response to all customer needs; manage maintenance and requests via the Campus Maintenance Management System (CMMS) with a focus on service delivery and metrics-driven decision making.
- Implement, improve, and (where necessary) establish policies and work processes to ensure maximum productivity and efficient delivery of services.
- Ensure that all facilities-related work is performed safely and in compliance with all applicable environmental and safety regulations.
- Oversee capital projects, solely and in collaboration with capital project consultant(s) or architect(s). Establish and maintain 5-year capital project systems (CAPS).
- Maintain regular communication and good working relationships with all members of the Dumbarton Oaks community, as well as professional communities and external contractors.
- Oversee the security and safety operations of the campus by supervising the Director of Security.
- Serve as a member of the Operations Committee.
- Perform related duties as required.