Harris Group thrives on providing expert engineering for some of today’s most complex challenges. We are creative in our approach by delivering multi-discipline services across a wide range of project types. Our successes are directly related to high-quality collaboration, across all offices, expertise, and backgrounds. Harris Group is a 100% Employee-Owned company with our eyes focused on the people in the company, the clients we serve, and the communities in which we live. Come join a Great Place to Work® Certified™ company!
Harris Group is seeking a dynamic, self-driven Structural Engineer to join one of our dynamic California offices, located in Thousand Oaks or Lafayette. Harris Group offers a flexible work arrangement with a hybrid work model. Relationships are the key to our success! We are looking for a team member who can work independently, collaborate on a team, and provide mentorship and leadership to support the growth of Harris Group.
This role is responsible for interpreting project scope and designing structural components for new facilities and for the improvement of existing facilities within the project’s established budget and schedule. The ideal candidate will have experience with private sector facility design, greenfield, and retrofit projects, with an emphasis on manufacturing facilities, chemical process industries, and material handling projects. A Structural Engineer can exercise independent judgment in evaluating, selecting, and applying standard design techniques, procedures, and criteria to make minor design adaptations and modifications. This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Understand and practice client-focused design service values and continuous focus on quality.
- Research, plan, and design code compliant structural solutions that often require novel concepts and approaches within a multi-discipline team to meet project expectations (technical, operational, aesthetic, construction) for a wide range of industrial facilities, often with client requirements that exceed typical code minimums.
- Serve as technical resource on design issues and engineering theories, concepts, principles, and processes for structural integrity and seismic strength.
- Estimate and manage effort required by self and others to accomplish structural design work within project constraints (scope, quality, schedule, budget).
- Represent Harris Group at client meetings, communications, and industry peers.
- Provide on-site construction phase observation and assistance services.
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Ability and willingness to travel to an off-site location and/or accept client site assignments when required.
B.S. in ABET accredited Civil or Structural Engineering program with 3-10 years of relevant experience. NCEES record preferred.
- Licensed California Professional Engineer Civil branch (PE civil) or licensed California Professional Structural Engineer (SE).
- Ability and desire to sit for the 16-hour NCEES SE exam within two years, if not currently licensed as an SE.
- Advanced structural engineering knowledge and ability to apply structural engineering techniques commonly used in industrial capital projects.
- Conduct detail calculations of loads, pressures, stresses and strains of structural components and document results with supporting design basis information.
- Communicate structural design solutions through drawings, specifications, computer models, and other design and construction documents. Ability to proficiently identify, interpret and apply relevant codes and standards to engineering designs, including: IBC, ASCE, AISC, ACI, and jurisdiction specific codes.
- Ability to proficiently apply analysis software including STAAD, Enercalc, and FEA.
- Ability to use drafting software including AutoCAD and Revit for quality control and minor revisions.
- Ability to use basic office software including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Understand how to work with set budgets and deadlines for structural engineering tasks.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Harris Group provides a competitive compensation and benefits package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Drug Free Workplace
Harris Group, Inc. is a 100% drug free workplace. For the safety of our employees, customers, and our customer’s facilities, we do a pre-employment drug test and may require random testing to meet specific client needs. Please note that Marijuana, even if prescribed by a physician OR allowed under a state law regulating Marijuana, remains illegal under federal law and is against Harris Group’s policy.
We look forward to receiving your resume!
Harris GroupLos Angeles, CA
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.