This position reports directly to the Executive Chef, and works as a team with the Restaurant Manager to deliver a high quality dining experience to all guests. Operates a productive, sanitary, team oriented working environment within budgeted guidelines.
- Two years prior experience as Room Chef or above in an upscale Restaurant is preferred.
- Sound culinary knowledge of Asian cuisine.
- Understands food cost and margins, and how to best control them.
- Strong knowledge of line of supply.
- AS-400 ordering system knowledge preferred.
- Must possess excellent people skills.
- Must have the ability to teach and motivate staff.
- Understands the concept of, and how to administer progressive discipline.
- Must be able to display an active, well organized and well-groomed appearance at all times.
Essential Job Functions:
- Facilitates a team structure between the front and back of the house staffs to assure that each guest has a positive experience.
- Holds a daily pre-shift meeting with culinary staff to discuss the day’s business, and all other pertinent information.
- Insures the integrity of all recipes by maintaining a current recipe file and trains all employees to follow recipe specifications and procedures.
- Performs daily line checks to insure quality of line set up.
- Monitors daily labor hours scheduled and consumed.
- Adjusts to slower periods by encouraging no times and early outs.
- Verifies accuracy of sign in sheets and turns them into payroll nightly.
- Maintains budgeted food cost by adhering to recipe standards, maintaining low inventory levels in coolers and storerooms (J.I.T.), taking daily inventory of all high cost items, utilizing the cost transfer system, and evaluating the P mix daily to verify usage to items sold.
- Acknowledges superior performance and corrects negative performance issues by using the discussion planner and progressive discipline as needed.
- Maintains an active role in the training and supervision of stewards and wait staff.
- Fills out daily Culinary shift reports and forwards to the Executive Chef.
- Attends weekly Culinary Focus meeting and monthly Food and Beverage meeting.
- Trains staff on emergency procedures.
- Establishes a nightly dining room presence to solicit feed back from guests.
- Spends the majority of time interviewing, training, and selecting employees
Conducts Performance Reviews
Makes or recommends wage increases
Makes or recommends promotions
Provides for safety and security
Handles employees' complaints or grievances
Recommends disciplinary action or disciplines employees
Supervises and monitors work
Monitors legal compliance with federal, state, and gaming laws
Physical, Mental & Environmental Demands:
- Must be able to maneuver to all areas of the kitchen, restaurant, hotel, and casino.
- Must be able to conduct conversations with guests and employees and speak distinctly and persuasively with others.
- Must be able to deal effectively with diverse departments and have flexibility to work in an ever-changing work environment.
- Must be able to work in extreme hot or cold temperatures.
- Must be able to calculate numbers and solve complex problems.
- Must be able to respond to visual or aural cues.
- Must be able to react quickly to resolve problems or conflicts.
- Must be able to cook and create new, innovative and imaginative recipes.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Harrah’s reserves the right to make changes to this job description whenever necessary.
Preference is given to qualified Rincon tribal members and members of other federally recognized tribes.